Up, Up, Up | Teen Ink

Up, Up, Up

By emmaahendersonn BRONZE, Granger, Indiana
emmaahendersonn BRONZE, Granger, Indiana

My stomach turned as if it was weighted with restless butterflies as I walked inside. There was an array of smiles, fake ones maybe, aimed at me, and I tried to reciprocate. But it was a little hard. Fingers pointed to the right, to the aisle bordered with fluorescent tape. My feet felt like weights, my hands turned clammy, I bit my lip as I proceeded on. There was people all around, all of us with the same thoughts passing our minds: We just want to go home. I finally reached my destination; an uncomfortable, upright seat. Perfect. I sat down, and looked at the gifts it had so “generously” given me. A blanket, too scratchy, some headphones, too big, and a paper bag. Just in case. I gave a big sigh, and my eyes shot nervously around at my surroundings for the next eight hours. Muffled speech was all that could be heard, no one wanting to be an annoyance. Thank the lord for public decency. A baby poked its head above the seat in front of me, and gave me a toothless grin. Great. These headphones too big may come into use. A droning voice of protocol sounded above me, and I barely heeded the information I had been getting since I was little. My spearmint gum exploded flavor in my mouth, distracting my thoughts from the current events. It felt like I was sitting on a bolder, the chair not being a provider of comfort whatsoever. I shifted my weight, trying to find the perfect position. But, it was unattainable. The whirring of engines sounded in the air, I looked out the window and saw the giant rotation begin its count. My heart picked up it’s pace, I quickly looked away and stared down at my feet. Suddenly, my stomach was pressing down low in my body, and I was sitting diagonally. Then I was readjusted, and I let out a sigh of relief, until the faint aroma of beef wafted through the air. My stomach turned again, and I let out a slight gag. A tray was placed in front of me. Cold bun. Cup of water. Salad. Beef. I looked up at the attendant with a painful smile, “Thanks.” The baby must of been against this atrocious meal as well, because it began to cry.
Awesome.