Nathaniel Petersen: Building and Repairing Computers | Teen Ink

Nathaniel Petersen: Building and Repairing Computers

May 18, 2015
By Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Nathaniel, a senior in high school, started a business for repairing computers.

Nathaniel’s business consists of building and repairing computers. He can do something as simple as just installing software or something as complicated to building a computer, and overclocking it to make it the faster. He says he can even put in a liquid cooling system. Nathaniel also gives people advice how to maintain their computers.

Nathaniel started repairing computers when he was about 14. He started by ripping a computer apart and replacing parts, and watching YouTube videos. Starting with helping just  family and friends with computers. At 16 he started getting his name out to other people outside his family. He said he made business cards and put ads online. He now has about 500 customers and counting.

He says he has built all kinds of computers from normal basic $300 computers to high end gaming desktops that can run anywhere from 3 to $5,000.Any computer he builds people have an average amount of saving about $500 to $1,000 on high end computers. Even though his prices are cheaper, Nathaniel says he still makes a huge profit.

Nathaniel has designed his own virus removal software which helped improve his business. He works 60 plus hours during the holidays. But he says he still works year round. He builds all kinds of computers from normal basic $300 computers to high end gaming desktops that can run anywhere from 3 to $5000 on the streets. and I build it for about a fraction of that.

Nathaniel does not have a set price; instead, he said he is more than willing to bargain. He still make a huge profit.

For him the business is not about making money, he just wants will satisfied customers.

Nathaniel says even though he tells customers what to do with their computers and how to do it he still has customers that come back.

“I do all sorts of stuff from removing viruses to building them and troubleshooting. There is not anything computer wise that really holds me back. I will repair damages and or parts.” says Nathaniel

Some of the devices he has worked on include laptops and tablets. The only thing he says he doesn’t do is replace touch screens of laptops. Mostly because their more complicated and more of a liability.

Nathaniel has  traveled all over wisconsin and has drove to Illinois to deliver computers because of his growing business. Nathaniel says he does charge for driving depending on the distance but still remains cheaper than his competitors such as best buy or milwaukee pc.

“If they are not 100% satisfied I failed at my job to help them. My work is not done till they are satisfied.” says Nathaniel

For the future, Nathaniel plans to do something involving computers. Though unsure he is still interested in law enforcement, so he wants to combine the two careers.

But for now Nathaniels has internship this summer for the FBI cyber hacking, which is something he is very excited about.
“ I can’t wait not sure what to expect. I am double majoring and going to college for both those careers or criminal justice and computer engineering.” says Nathaniel

My business is not at all about the money. I am willing to lose money to make more money. I am willing lose money for one customer if they give me 10 more customers or something valuable. I have no set rates I just tell them prices and we agree on them. I have base prices I tell them see what they think if they don’t like it i ask why what price do you think. More times then not we agree on a price. I look at all possibilities I have helped people with little to no money and still helped them out and lost a little bit of money or came out even.

 

“ I do whatever I can to help the people who reach out to me. They reached out to me for a reason I don’t make them regret it.” says Nathaniel


The author's comments:

This article is a feature about a student with a special talent for repairing computers.