The Future | Teen Ink

The Future

By Nicole Huffman BRONZE, None, Virginia
Nicole Huffman BRONZE, None, Virginia

Hey guys, it would be really great if you could leave a comment and help me figure out what to do….

All my life I’ve wanted to do different things at different times. When I was little I wanted to be a designer or model. I loved fashion. Then I saw how teachers made a difference in someone’s life. Like if you love your bio teacher you may like bio better than history. So I wanted to become a teacher. Up until high school I always knew what I wanted to do.

When I started high school I was set on being a teacher. I thought I was a little kid when I loved fashion and I didn’t know enough to make a real choice.  I thought I would never change my mind. Then I saw throughout the years I would always say “I want to teach elementary school. Why teach high school or middle school?” Then as I got to high school and middle school I thought well this wouldn’t be to bad. I would enjoy teaching this more than elementary school.

I thought I would until one sub came into our class. She was a teacher who retired to go back to school. She told us how she loved teaching but after 20 years her old students would come back to her and tell her about all the cool advancements in science they were working with and how they love it. She said she left teaching because teaching the same thing year after year got boring. She didn’t want to just talk about a concept she wanted to research new advancements in connection to that concept. She made me realize with that story the reason I kept telling myself maybe teaching middle school is where I want to be, once I got to middle school, is because I knew I would be bored in elementary school. I thought I could teach something as long as it was the highest education level I had.

I’ve always loved science and I love medicine so I did some soul searching last year so I thought medical science would be a good fit for me. And I do love it! It’s interesting and ever-changing. I can’t wait to take classes on epidemiology and do research!

But this year I’m writing a novel (don’t be freaked out by the word novel, because I’m not going to be able to professionally publish it. It’s just like writing a really long story that I will probably self publish) and all I want to do is write. I’m also in a photo class, but I know I’m not good enough at photography to be a photographer. I still love medical science and want to do that. I may not be any good at writing, I might be good at it, but I love it too. I want to be both, but I don’t think there’s really a career for it. Creative writing and medical science don’t really mix.

Everyone’s always told me going into the arts is the life of “a starving artist”. I don’t really want that if I know I will be just as happy with medical science. But I love writing and I’m already planning at least two other novels, probably more.  I don’t know what to do. Anyone have any thoughts?