Home: A Concert Review | Teen Ink

Home: A Concert Review

By MaggieMontalto BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey
MaggieMontalto BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey

Unlike most college freshman you can find me at home on Friday nights, usually reading or starting a One Tree Hill marathon. However, on this particular Friday night I went to a concert and found myself home in a completely new sense of the word. I was at home in the presence of my favorite band. I drove two hours to West Long Branch, New Jersey to see my favorite band All Time Low. This is not an unusual occurrence. Usually when they announce a tour I map out at least two shows I plan on going to and beg my mom for a ride. The Future Hearts tour was no exception. Even though I've seen All Time Low about twenty times the experience never gets old. Each concert better than the last.

My best friend and I walked into the venue of overwhelming size filled with people between the ages of fourteen and twenty three. Even though I didn't know the majority of the people there, and I was over two hours away from my actual home, I was safe. I found myself perfectly content in this sea of strangers because we were all there with the same purpose: To hear our favorite songs transformed and brought to life right in front of us.
The opening act, a pop-punk band from New York with the name State Champs, set the tone for the show. Their high energy sound and catchy melodies filled the room as the crowd danced. Their front man, Derek DiScanio had a voice capable of making anyone sing along even if they didn't know the words. Up next was Tonight Alive. The Australia natives kept the high energy vibe while playing their empowering anthem What Are You So Scared of? A particularly touching moment was when the lead singer Jenna McDougall, stopped the show to wish a happy birthday to a diehard fan that had traveled half way across the world to support them. Even though I didn't know their music they had an infectious energy that made me love them. After Tonight Alive, Issues took the stage. They strolled out to the Pokémon theme song which got everyone excited. Their set was full of mosh pits and crowd surfing, which I didn't participate in but it was fun to watch.

After their hour long set it was All Time Low's turn. I waited what felt like an eternity for this and it was finally time. The second Alex Gaskarth started singing their new song Satellites, from their newly released album Future Hearts, I remembered why they are my favorite band. They make me feel like no one else can. Every lyric they sing, every note they play, I feel that. It goes through me and makes me feel like I'm meant to be with them listening to them in that moment. They are home for me and for so many other fans all over the world.

Their set list was full of classics such as Weightless and Jasey Rae. It also featured a few new tracks including Runaways and Missing You. The show was full of the usual banter between guitarist Jack Barakat and lead singer Alex Gaskarth. They always keep the crowd laughing which adds a special aspect to their concert experience.
If you've never seen All Time Low I highly recommended it. The Future Hearts Tour is not one you want to miss. Every band was great in their own way and kept the crowd dancing and singing along. I definitely plan on attending many more All Time Low shows in the future and I hope you do