Finding an Angel | Teen Ink

Finding an Angel

By Cindyxx BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
Cindyxx BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
― Robert Frost

'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.' That was a lie. I knew words could be much more deleterious and impacting than force - words could make you feel worthless and horrible, like you were a speck of dust; while the worst thing sticks and stones could give you was a bruise.

I warily stepped out into the playground, the coldness greeting me. My eyes darted across, searching for the little girl with chocolate brown hair, and a birthmark the size of a penny on her cheek that I had grown to despise. While appearing to be innocent with her large, auburn eyes and small figure, I knew the dark secrets that were belied by the smile of hers. Bowing my head down, I hoped to escape the fate that lied in front of me. Unfortunately, luck was not on my side. I heard the soft padding of footsteps, and glanced up to see Megan and her group of followers advancing towards me, like predators looking for their next meal. Fear coursed through my veins as butterflies fluttered in my stomach. With an acerbic sneer on her face and animosity lacing her voice, I instantly dreaded our confrontation. 

"Look what the cat brought in. Is that a marshmallow?" Megan sniggered, a nasty smile slowly crossing her face. Hurt coursed through me, and my eyes watered, tears threatening to spill out. A fire burned within me, spreading to every part of my body while heat rose to my cheeks. Did she take pleasure in causing others pain and hurt? I wondered. 

"Come on Megan, don't waste your time on her. I heard there's a new kid who's attending our school, fresh meat!" Megan's friend proclaimed.

"Your right, I guess. I heard her name's Asia. What a pathetic and weird name. Let's go," Megan replied back.

As she stepped out of my line of vision, I let out a deep breath, relieved that it was over. Normally, I didn't mind being an introvert, slinking into the shadows and hiding in the world of reading and books rather than being social and having parties. But at school, children could be cruel. They could tease you for being different, even though you were just being yourself.

Hearing a new voice on the playground, my eyes shifted to the left, where the entrance to the playground was. A stout little girl with chubby cheeks stood next to the door, her eyes sparkling and her face gleaming with sweat. Her long, black hair shined in the sun as it cascaded down her back. I observed her from a distance, too afraid to ask her if she wanted to play. When I noticed that she was wearing an orientation badge on her baggy white t-shirt, I came to the conclusion that the girl was Asia.

Asia, I thought, what a peculiar name. Although, peculiar isn't necessarily bad. Peculiar is different, unique. Like me. While I was pondering about the new addition to our school, an ebullient voice met my ears.

"Hello!" Asia cheerfully greeted, "I'm Asia, what's your name?" Taken aback by her forwardness, I stood there stunned for a moment before hesitantly replying back.

"I'm Michelle," I timidly whispered, "nice to meet you." Asia didn't seem to mind my introversion. She cheerfully chattered about where she used to live, and we became friends quickly. Warmth and happiness filled my body, as I had made my first real friend at school. Our moment of happiness was ephemeral, dissipating when Megan graced our presences.

"Now look who we have here?" Megan rancorously remarked, "Is this a new addition to the loser?" Asia's warm hand grasped mine, and I felt stronger, like we could face Megan together. Suddenly, I didn't feel so lonely anymore. No longer was the frail, meek girl who refused to make eye contact. When we united, we were whole and resilient.
"Michelle is not a loser. Leave us alone," Asia retorted back with vigor. Megan's smile quickly turned into a scowl, and she hesitantly retreated, unfamiliar with remarks being thrown back to her. 

At that moment, I knew the importance of friendship. Friendship is not caring about how you look, or your personality. We had polar opposite personalities, but we managed to bond and become great friends. Friendship is having a companion who will stick by your side, defend you and be your rock. Asia was not perfect, far from it actually. When you imagine an angel, you would think of people with white, feathery wings and glowing halos. I believe that angels can come in all forms and sizes, but ultimately, they come in the form of a friend. I was stuck in a labyrinth of suffering. Asia was my saving angel, and guided me out of the endless maze. Today would be a new chapter of my story, but rather facing life alone, I would have the pleasure of facing the challenges and hardships in front of me with a friend.

This piece highlights a major issue faced by many people, especially kids and teenagers. I wrote 'Finding an Angel' in 8th grade, as a reflection of the bullying I experienced as a kid. Bullying made my days at school unenjoyable and filled with devastation, but fortunately I found my salvation through the form of a friend. Through friendship, I was able to rise above their hurtful words and overcome my own self-doubts. To this day, this experience sums up one phrase: 'Love Conquers All'.