HAWS - A Treasure | Teen Ink

HAWS - A Treasure

By megan7elizabeth SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
megan7elizabeth SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

You have to be odd to be number one - Dr. Seuss

No matter what part of Waukesha you are in, there’s one intermutual interest that the community can come together and smile about--animalNo matter what part of Waukesha you are in, there’s one intermutual interest that the community can come together and smile about--animals! Whether it be pets of their own, at the pet store, or even a visit out of the county to the Milwaukee County Zoo. However, Waukesha has its own animal treasure on 701 Northview Road: HAWS.

HAWS, or the Humane Animal Welfare Society, is an animal shelter for stray, unwanted, lost, and abandoned animals. Everyday, animals, ranging from cats and dogs to chinchillas and snakes, are brought in, cared for, and put up for public. adoption . Fortunately, many of these animals aren’t there for too long, for people come in everyday, giving them a loving home.

Every Sunday, my boyfriend and I visit HAWS for an hour, where we look and play with all of the animals that we can. Although I often get teary-eyed seeing all of these affectionate animals in cages, being able to play with them for just a few minutes always puts a smile on my face. I still have little marks on my hand from playing with two eight-month old cats. I laugh to myself everytime I look at them because it reminds me of how much fun we had.

The best part about being there is seeing the adoption slips on the cages because that’s when you know that the sweet, lively animal is going to a caring, loving home -- all because of this Waukesha treasure.

s! Whether it be pets of their own, at the pet store, or even a visit out of the county to the Milwaukee County Zoo. However, Waukesha has its own animal treasure on 701 Northview Road: HAWS.