Waukesha County | Teen Ink

Waukesha County

By chloe5427 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
chloe5427 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

"I am a poem in progress, a tangle of meanings searching for the right words." -Unknown

My family goes to the Waukesha County Fair. We saw the blue ribbons given to horses, flowers, and baked goods. 4-H  seemed self explanatory. Grow flowers. Get a ribbon. So I decided to join 4-H.

I assumed 4-H was like Girl Scouts. You pay some dues, go to meetings, and do community service. Why wouldn’t 4-H be the same way?

It didn’t take me long to discover that 4-H was organized more like a secret society such as the CIA. Once I attended the first meeting, I knew 4-H was different. The members of the clubs participated in activities that helped develop leadership skills, communication skills, and public speaking skills. Three skills I wouldn’t have if it weren’t for 4-H.

In addition to those skills. I met new people with similar interests, learned how to keep a record book of all the projects I brought to the Waukesha County Fair, as well as the activities I participated in, and learned the importance of responsibility.

I was given opportunities to go on trips with other 4-Hers from Waukesha County. I went to Washington D.C., and Madison, Wisconsin. I have met senators, received college scholarships, and, overall, I have become a more well-rounded, patient, reliable person in Waukesha County.

4-H is a treasure to Waukesha County because it gives youth opportunities to develop into young adults as preparation for the real world in fun, educational ways, and brings the community together at the Waukesha County Fair.