Dear Person Who Walked Slow | Teen Ink

Dear Person Who Walked Slow

April 16, 2015
By Anonymous

March 31, 2015
Dear Person Who Walked Slow,

Thank you so much for making me late for my class because you and your friend felt the need to consume all of the space on the sidewalk. I hope you realize that because of your inconsideration I was late to take an assigned test. My tardiness for my class was not the worst aspect of your thoughtlessness. That morning I was in a hurry because my alarm failed. I am a conscientious person so in my desire to arrive on time I inappropriately dressed for the weather. I was unaware how slushy the sidewalks were after the early morning sleet and I inadvertently put sneakers on my feet instead of boots. Since you felt the need to make a five-minute walk to class take almost ten minutes my feet were wet and very cold.  Just because you chose to walk very slowly and apparently do not mind the sub degree weather others, including myself, did not appreciate that you subjected us to the freezing cold and snow for longer than I deemed necessary. I am unsure if you did not listen to me because of the amount of clothing needed to stay warm or you chose to be rude when I politely said, “excuse me” and asked you to move to the side. You appeared to pretend not to hear me and continued conversing with your friend. It was wonderful and selfless of you to care more about your conversation with your friend than the comfort of a complete stranger. Hopefully you will try to be more considerate of other people who are trying to get to their destination on time.

Thank you again for your consideration. I hope I will never again share the same sidewalk with you.

Sincerely,
Person that is annoyed
Person that is annoyed

PS. This message also goes to the wonderful people who smoke in front of me or who just stand in the middle of the sidewalk and talk, thank you. You make my day so much better!

 

 

April 1, 2015

 

Dear, Person that is annoyed,

Contrary to your belief it was not my fault that you did not arrive on time to take your exam. It might be in your best interest to place the blame for your tardiness on yourself. It is your responsibility to arrive to class on time. Maybe, instead of being in a hurry, you should leave a little earlier than anticipated, especially if the weather is bad. You did make me aware of my insensitivity. I apologize for being so involved in my conversation that I was unaware that you excused yourself and asked us to step to the side. Often we get caught up in our own needs and feel as though the world revolves around ourselves. I will make a conscious effort to be considerate of the people around me if you make the same effort to arrive to your destination on time.  You may feel that I was rude when I did not step aside. I also feel it is rude when someone assumes they can push us to move with the excuse of being in a “hurry”.  I believe we both have some etiquette skills that need some refreshing. Have a nice day.

Best of Luck,
Person Who Walked Slow

Person Who Walked Slow

P.S. I hope we can meet someday when you are not in a hurry and I am not so self involved. Thank you for speaking your mind.