Old Faithful | Teen Ink

Old Faithful

By Sheep10 BRONZE, Clayton, Wisconsin
Sheep10 BRONZE, Clayton, Wisconsin

On the family vacation to Yellowstone National Park we saw many beautiful sights, but none were quite as pretty as the sight of the Old Faithful.  Old Faithful is a gigantic iconic geyser in the National Park.  In just one eruption, the infamous geyser powerfully shoots gallons upon gallons of sizzling hot water.  Upon hearing the sound of the water coming out of the huge gap in the ground, I could feel chills down my spine.  The uniquely powerful sound of the water was magnificent to my ears.  As stunning as the sound was, the sight of this remarkable world wonder was one of the most amazing displays of the power of nature that I had ever seen.

When I saw this geyser for the first time, I was stunned.  This gigantic water spout made me feel so small and insignificant.  I wanted to shower myself under all the warm water bucketing down from one eruption.  Too bad there was a gate holding me back.  Oherwise I would have jumped under it to touch the warm water.  Luckily, I was able to take in the sights and sounds of this breath-taking giant geyser more than once.  Reliability in its eruption is why they call it Old Faithful, and true to its name, it did erupt on time as the sign indicated.  I was so excited that I knew what time I could return to this geyser to see it burst forth once again.  My breath was taken away more than once as I watched this beautiful force of nature.  I remember thinking of my friends at home, and hoping that someday Carl, Kody, and Dalton could all come to Yellowstone Park.  Old Faithful was gorgeous, and it made me realize how irrelevant I really was compared to the enormity of the world.  Even though it made me feel small, it also made me feel alive and important because, I was there experiencing this natural wonder.  We were united in our existence.  It was one of the best sights I had ever seen in my whole entire lifetime. 

Smelling this geyser filled my mind with many thoughts and some of them were not so pleasant.  This was an aroma I will never forget. In fact, aroma is too pleasant a word to describe what I smelled.  The whole geyser pit permeated our nostrils with a sulfuric smell similar to a rotten egg.   Despite this unpleasant odor, it didn’t change the fact that this was a spectacular sight.  The smell of the sulfuric acid came out of the ground when each and every geyser erupted.  The sulfuric smell wasn’t the only aroma flooding the air.  A fresh woodsy smell from the pine trees also invaded the area.  Oddly enough, there was yellow pollen sagging from the pine needles.  It was definitely different than what our pine trees looked like at home.  Walking along the pathway I detected varying aromas.  Geysers varied in sizes and frequency of eruptions, and the odors varied as well.  Since Old Faithful was enormous, it had the most dominating smell. 

One of the best feelings in the whole world, is the feeling of water running over your face.  At Old Faithful I experienced that feeling.  After the geyser erupted, I could feel the natural spring water running over my face.  Beneath my feet, I felt the old wooden boards that made up the pathway.  As I walked by Old Faithful, I nearly injured my hands with rope burn from running my hand over the rope blockade.  I remember grabbing the old fragile rope fence and thinking how easy it would be to duck right under it and hop into the geyser.  Feeling the fresh water brush against my face was one of the best feelings I ever experienced. 

Old Faithful was one of the most breath-taking sights I have ever seen in my life.  Excited chatter permeated through the crowd, each time Old Faithful erupted.  Even though I have already seen, it I would like to go back again to once again experience that breath-taking scene.  I was only eight when I saw, it but yet I understood how magnificent it was.  This is a sight that everyone should see in their lifetime, no matter how old you are, when you see it, you will remember it forever.  Vivid in my memories is the scent of the sulfur, the feeling of the warm water brushing against my face, and the sight of thousands of gallons of water erupting out of the ground.  The family trip to Old Faithful is one experience that I will never forget in my lifetime, it was some of the best times I have spent with my family.