The Metaphorical Monster Behind the Door | Teen Ink

The Metaphorical Monster Behind the Door

April 13, 2015
By audreymunce GOLD, Lee\\\'s Summit, Missouri
audreymunce GOLD, Lee\\\'s Summit, Missouri
15 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I loved him, not for the way he danced with my angels.... But for the way the sound of his name could silence my demons.


See that girl sitting in the corner not talking to anyone, well she’s living with a monster inside of her. She doesn’t know what to do with herself except sit and listen to it telling her she’s not good enough. She just sits and waits for this monster to be done. Waits for it all to be over, but the screaming, the yelling, the voice telling her that she isn’t good enough never ends. She doesn’t do anything to stop it because there is nothing she can do. She needed help to get through the constant nagging in her head to be better.


This girl was living with a monster inside her, and that monster was herself. She needed to beat herself in order to beat the monster. She needed someone to tell her it would be okay and that they would never leave her. She needed someone to help her get rid of her monster behind the door. She had come to think that would never happen because to her no one cared. No one asked how her day was, or no one asked if she was okay. Until one day she met a boy who made her monsters leave her when she talked to him. When she stopped the monsters came back and the worst part was they didn’t even live in the same state. They wouldn’t be able to meet for a couple years if they were still talking. This boy made her feel like she could do anything, be anything she wanted. Like there was some that would actually love her for who she is not the person she was trying to be when she wanted others to like her. She loved this boy with all she had and she knew he loved her with all he had too. This boy told the frightened little girl that she was at the time that he would never leave her even if he had to start a war to do it.


She had learned her monsters were permanent unless she got rid of them herself. Which she had not learned how to do yet. She would have to learn that she has the power to get rid of them because she did. She just needed to know she did and she would be able to get rid of the monsters hanging over her saying she was never going to be good enough for anyone to love her. She needed to except herself. That girl who has those monsters inside of her is me.


I’m the girl sitting in a corner not talking to anyone, but inside my head there is screaming. I’m the girl who met a boy who lives in different state. I’m the girl that this boy makes happy with his weirdness. I’m the girl in the story who needs to know that someone cares. I’m the girl in the story that found out the only person that can get rid of the monsters is herself. 


The author's comments:

This piece represents the fact that even if you do find someone to have in your life tha gets rid of your monsters the only person that has the power to get rud of them fuly is yourself. I had to learn that the hard way.