Misconceptions | Teen Ink

Misconceptions

By M.J.Baker BRONZE, Langley, Other
M.J.Baker BRONZE, Langley, Other

Don't Wish For It
Work For It

I walked down the long hallway with dread.  I knew what was coming, but I kept walking; if I didn’t they would win and it would never stop.  As I reached the end of the hall, I glanced at the door leading to the cafeteria, anxiety kicking in.  I sighed and fixed my hair nervously, hoping they would leave me alone.  Who was I kidding though, I was the perfect target.

I walked in, heading across the big open room.  Out of the corner of my eyes I could see everyone staring like vultures searching for prey.  They were all sitting down at the tables, looking at me and whispering to one another.  I walked slowly, trying not to panic, though the more I tried the more anxious I became.  I could feel my face burn bright red as everyone stared and whispered to one another, making fun of me and calling me names. 

I wouldn’t dare look at them; if I did, they would just giggle and laugh at my red face, except for one.  He sat there too, but farther back near the door.  He doesn’t laugh or whisper or stare, he simply talks to his friends and glances at me most of the time.  It drives me crazy because I never understand what he’s thinking.  Though he doesn’t judge me like the others, or make fun of me, he always glances at me with those gorgeous green eyes.

I continued walking across the room, trying to ignore him.  I looked straight ahead, gaining on the exit where my friends and I would hangout.  Almost there.  I got more comfortable and my anxiety started to die down as I gained on the door, but then I heard his laugh.  Without moving my head, I looked over to where I heard his laughter He sat there with his friends, talking and laughing a little.  Was it about me?  Was he laughing at something his friend said about me, or not?

I kept walking, glancing at him, looking at his perfect face.  I got stiff and looked back forward but glanced back at him, only to meet his eyes.  I couldn’t look away, so I just stared.  He stared back, but then he smiled.  I continued to stare and then forced a smile back, looking away as soon as I could.  I looked at the door and opened it, my brain swarming with thoughts.

I felt my face go bright red again and leaned against the door.  Did that really just happen?  I thought he was just laughing at me, why did he smile?  He’s kind of attractive.  I catch myself smiling, but calmed myself down and walked to the corner, looking at my friends who were standing there talking and laughing.  They looked at me, said “Hey”, and then continued talking.

I stood next to them, looking at each one of them, as I though I was hearing what they were saying, but I wasn’t. I couldn’t focus on their conversation, all I could think about was his perfect smile.

I would do this every morning, walk across the open room always worrying about what people thought.  I wanted to let people know that not everything you may think is correct so I got inspired to write this hoping that people would think about all the possibilities of peoples thoughts.  I went on like this for a long time thinking that people were just saying what they wanted about me but in reality they were just sitting there enjoying there lives, whispering to eachother about what happened last night or what they did during the weekend.  It's very easy for someone to turn something around just by thinking about what people are saying.

wadesterblue said...
Nicely written. Sounds like a case of paranoia. Sometimes we think that people are talking about us when in fact, they are not.