Spring Hill | Teen Ink

Spring Hill

April 1, 2015
By lebronjames2013 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
lebronjames2013 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I'm taking my talents to South Beach." - Lebron James


  Summer of 2014, it was almost time to make the journey. As Spencer and I rendezvous at my grandparents house, we pack up our things in our stuffed bags. “Lets go” my mom yells from upstairs. Spencer and I gather our belongings and walk out the unusually long driveway, to the car. We get in the car, pick up a couple other friends, and we were now on our way. During this summer I was attending my last year of church camp. A year that would help define me as a Christian, a leader, and a friend. That was the target. About an hour in, the car was already starting to fill with scents of subway, cow manure, and summer. As soon as I feel like the car ride wouldn't get any longer,  I see a sign. We were finally at our destination. As the ever so long dragon of a line stretched it’s tail throughout the road, we knew, that we would be here for a while.  It was only about 45 minutes until they finally opened the camp and all of the cars started to pour into the awaiting parking lot. We make for the signup line and again, is super long. We make our way to the front only to get our new t shirts and bandanas. Now on to the real part. Decision day. I almost think of this part as when the college athletes sit at a table and pick what college they are going to by selecting a hat. One cabin stood out to Spencer and me. Surprised it was empty, we marked our territory in the next open line, the first two lines. We got to our new cabin and we met our two counselors. This was going to be a week that I would never forget.

Although it was one of the best weeks of my life,  I want to just talk about one specific moment. My assistant counselor, Caleb was speaking to all of the campers at the end of camp individually. When it was my turn to go up, I was the last one to go so everyone had left by now, I stepped into the chilly room and sat on the low budget bunk bed. As he started talking to me, he said that he respected me as a person and that he was proud of me this week. He continued to say that he thought I was a natural born leader and I had great things coming in my future. He ended telling me that I needed to keep doing the right thing because people will follow me.
I felt that this was the most important part of camp because it really defined me as a person and it kind of motivates me to do the right thing. After hearing that speech, I was pumped because it wasn’t the first time someone told me that at camp before. It makes me think about my future a lot. Will I really grow up to be a leader? Will I do the right thing all of the time? What if I don’t? These are all questions that I have asked myself before. Only time will tell. 
Since camp I have been trying my best to be a leader. In school, basketball season, and in my family as well. I have tried to do the right thing as well. I have been tested too. I think that I am on the right track currently. Whenever I am faced with a tough decision, That talk at camp always flashes in my mind and it helps me make the correct choice.
 


The author's comments:

Life Changing Moment