What's Your Passion and What Do You Do With It? | Teen Ink

What's Your Passion and What Do You Do With It?

March 19, 2015
By ellehm SILVER, Tyrone, Pennsylvania
ellehm SILVER, Tyrone, Pennsylvania
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Stop spending time in such meaningless activity!". I know Elisa, my friend, just wanted good thing for me. Oh well, I get used to it. Everyone thinks it's useless and that's what I got every day, but who cares ? Swimming is my passion and I would do it as my heart and soul leads me to follow. People know nothing about swimming. They don't get the importance of training to become a swimmer.


People think biology, physics, math... are important because those subjects help provide them a convenient life. Such subjects help them have good reputations as scientist, doctors..., such subject promote them with wealth and richness. Such subjects lead them to the greatest university. However, hardly anyone would concern and think swimming would be a category that fits in. Why not? Swimming, first, is a survivor skill. What happens if Newton drowned and could not discovered gravity. What happened if a bright student is getting their way on Yale and fell into the school's swimming pool and never get chance to sit in the school's auditorium. 3/4 of the Earth surface is ocean, that means most of the Earth's area are water. Water plays an important role in human beings. People rely on lifeguards whenever they go to the beaches or pools, why each person does not make themselves become their personal lifeguards?


That's what I told Melisa and everyone else. People should learn how to get along and play peacefully with water. Swimming should not be looked down on and be thought as " a meaningless, wasteful activity" as people never know the value of swimming until the face water.


By all costs, I will attend a swim camp in February the 14th, 2015 in New York, Westchester. Peak Performance Swim Camp is a professional camp for passionate swimmers. I believe this is the opportunity to sharpen my swimming skill as well as heat my swimming passion. Not only could I swim for the whole day but I also have some of the professional coaches with rigorous training. This is more than a dream. Unfortunately, my family could not afford it. I am an international student from Vietnam, my parents have done their best sending one of their children to school in American. Besides, in Vietnam, people are not highly concern about swimming or any sports, therefore, my parents disagreed to pay for the camp. If I win this scholarship, I would use this award to pay for the camp and transportation. Thank you very much for giving this opportunity.