This I believe | Teen Ink

This I believe

By m_ellerbeck BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
m_ellerbeck BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska

You Can’t Fail Until You Quit

I have always been a very quiet and shy person. I keep to myself, I use my manners, and
I only speak when spoken to some days. Growing up I was involved in a lot of activities where I didn’t have the opportunity to be shy. I couldn’t cower behind my mom during my dance solo, I couldn’t have my mom sing for me at an audition like she used to talk for me when we ordered at restaurants. I had to find my own voice.
I have made many sacrifices over the years to do what I love. I would not be where I am
today without hard work and perseverance. I started dancing at the age of three and as I grew older I started to become more serious about it. I began competing at the age of ten and from then on dance became my life. Once high school started I wanted to get involved and I figured dance team would be a good way to meet people and do what I love at the same time. It was Friday night, the final day of tryouts. I felt confident about my audition, but I was still nervous. The seniors emerged through the gymnasium doors with color coated letters. Each of us were called up to receive them individually. I walked away to open my neatly folded green letter. Other girls around me squealed with joy. They ran up to their friends holding up their letters. In that moment I realized something. Their letters were bright yellow. I looked down at my green letter and opened it. There was a small sliver of hope inside me that made me want to believe that the color didn’t matter. I thought maybe they ran out of paper. But to my disappointment I was wrong, the color did matter. I took a deep breath, shoved the letter in my dance bag, and walked out of the school. I managed not to show my disappointment until I got to the car.
Words can’t describe how upset I was in myself for not making it. My entire freshman
year of high school I worked my butt off at the studio, conventions and master classes. I tried my hardest and pushed myself to be the best and most improved dancer that I could possibly be. I could have given up easily, but I am not the kind of person to settle for less. I was not raised that way. I fought extremely hard to get better. It was not at all easy and I did get frustrated more times than I can even remember. I showed up at tryouts again that next year. All my hard work paid off. I am now a senior on the Papillion La-Vista South Sapphires dance team. If I would have given up I would not be where I am today. I believe you can’t fail until you quit.

Growing up many kids miss out on opportunities because they are scared to try something new or put themselves out there. The audition process and tryouts can be very hard and intimidating. I know, I've been there. The inspiration for my This I Believe essay was all of the kids who have been scared to try out for something and did it anyway. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.