A Letter to God | Teen Ink

A Letter to God

March 9, 2015
By annie1214 SILVER, Camas, Washington
annie1214 SILVER, Camas, Washington
9 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Dear God,


I know, I know. You probably aren't too interested in hearing from me. I don't memorize Bible verses, I never go to church, and well…sometimes, I doubt whether or not you even exist.


So why would I, a skeptic of your mere actuality, sit down and write you a letter? It's a good question, and I'm not sure myself of the answer. All I know is that I need a listening ear, and I can't think of who else to turn to.


First and foremost, I thank you, God, because you've made a pretty amazing life for me. You've given me a food in my stomach, clothes on my back, a loving family, and a nice home. You've given me so much, when I  know there are people with so little.


Which is why I so hesitate to ask you for just one more favor.


The truth is, God, that this world you’ve created for me, one that looks beautiful and picture perfect, well, it has an ugly side. I feel completely lost, like I've spent fifteen years of my life weaving myself into a thicket with no way out. This world is moving at breakneck pace, and only seems to be speeding up. My older brother and best friend is off to college this year, hundreds, even thousands of miles away. In a few short years I'll be doing the same, leaving behind my friends, family, and home. And what then? I'll spend four plus years in college, working, learning, dilly-dallying. And after that is the infamous "real world", and I have this sinking feeling I won't be ready for it.


I'm scared, God. I'm scared that I'll end up as average, a failure, with no meaningful impact on this world. I'm scared of disappointing all of the people who believed I would do something wonderful. I'm scared of letting down myself because of all the dreams I had about the amazing things I would do and the person I would become. I'm scared to admit that I have absolutely no idea what to do with my life.
And I'm scared because time is racing on, and about to crash into me head first.


Well, God, I've said it all. I've let it all out. I know you're busy...people are sick, hungry, and dying all over the world. But maybe, just maybe-after you've stopped the bleeding and fed the hungry-maybe you'll see this letter and think of little old me. And maybe you'll want to help a confused teenager find her place in this crazy, mixed up world you've put her in.


Sincerely yours,
Lonely Girl


The author's comments:

Are you there, God? I have everything I could possibly want, so why do I feel so alone?