Flash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The moon was smiling down at me. The stars were sparkling. No other night could have been more beautiful. I walked out of work and toward my car, not knowing there was a stranger behind me. He appeared out of nowhere. I glanced over my shoulder and kept walking. The faster I walked, the faster he walked. I became suspicious and frightened. In a matter of seconds, the stranger was right behind me. I started to walk faster, but he was still right there. I was convinced that he must have a gun. I finally got to my car and went to open the door.

“Don’t touch the car,” said the stranger.

“Who are you?” I replied, out of breath.

The stranger answered, “Give me your keys and walk away from the car slowly.”

I did what the man said. He grabbed my arm and took my keys. Then he took my purse and told me to take off my necklace. I did everything he asked, but when he turned his head for a split second, I put my hand in my coat pocket and pulled out my phone. As I opened it, the stranger noticed.

“Don’t you dare use that,” he said, angrily.

I closed it and put it back into my pocket. I stood there and watched as the stranger went through my purse and took what he wanted. I had a watch on, which he snatched. I was upset because it was my favorite watch, a gift from my parents (they always wanted me to be on time). Luckily, I wasn’t wearing the bracelet that my boyfriend had given me for Christmas.

The stranger threw my empty purse on the ground and then ran into the dark. I called the police, who got there within seconds and started to question me. I pulled out my phone and showed them a photo I had taken of the stranger. When he thought I was calling the police, I had actually taken his picture.

The police tracked him down and put him in prison and I got everything back. Now I’m really careful when I walk to my car at night and make sure no one is around who looks suspicious. I always leave work with someone, too. Everything is back to normal now, but I will never forget the night that the moon smiled at me.

DustBunny said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 10:40 am
Wow. That must've been scary. I would've fallen apart.