The Eye Sees Everything | Teen Ink

The Eye Sees Everything

There was a man standing in front of me with a knife stuck in his head and blood rushing down his face. I stared at him, wondering what I should do. He smiled and told me it was fake. I looked up at my great aunt with a great sigh of relief. I was visiting my great aunt and uncle in England, We were walking along the river Thames. There were all sorts of street performances going on and there was lots of food to eat. My really mean cousin was with us. I didn’t like her because she was very bossy and thought she knew everything. My great aunt made a plan with us to go see the London Eye, the largest ferris wheel in the world. There was one thing I didn’t tell her, I am afraid of heights,

We walked around for a little while more, enjoying the stalls and other tourist attractions. Then my cousin said she wanted to ride the London Eye. I looked at my aunt in worry that she would say yes. But of course, that is exactly what she said. I looked up at the giant white structure in dismay. I suggested we take a river cruise to avoid the main attraction. Then my cousin accused me of being scared. I couldn’t stand this, so I had to accept the challenge at hand. We got in line, it moved very slowly. I was annoyed at this, I just wanted to get it over with. Every time a new capsule rotated down, a new herd of victims were forced to jump in it. Then the door was slammed shut behind them, locking them away in the tiny room which slowly ascended into the sky. I started to feel very queasy and nauseous. My lunch started to rise, I could taste it in the back of my throat. My cousin was poking fun at me and I must have looked terrified. I ignored her. All I was thinking of was the ride up, then the ride down and finally landing back on the sweet, sweet ground.

I was so taken up with my thoughts that I had not realised that we had slowly reached the front of the line. It was our turn to jump into a capsule.My great aunt was first assisted in, as the ferris wheel never stops rotating. Then my cousin jumped in beside her. I hesitated and I walked on the platform alongside the capsule as it continued to move. My aunt started to panic, because in another few seconds I wouldn’t be able to jump into the capsule. It would start rotating upward. My cousin was laughing her head off, but I tried to block that out as I made an important decision. I slowly took a deep breath, then leapt swiftly and landed lightly on the floor of the capsule. I heard the door close behind me. I looked around the room and immediately closed my eyes tightly. The walls of the room were giant windows, I could see us leaving the ground behind. I felt like throwing up again, as the feeling of a falling elevator started to kick in the back of my mind. My cousin was still laughing, I hated her.

I sat down on the small bench in the middle of the room with my eye shut. after a few minutes my aunt told me I would miss the best part of the ride if I didn’t open my eyes. I slowly worked up the courage too. When I did, I could see the ocean on the other side of England. We were very high up, just don’t look down I told myself. I looked around me. I could see every part of England we had been to, from the little tea shop to Buckingham Palace. The sun was also starting to set and the scene turned from terrifying to pretty.  I was glad I opened my eyes. This would have been a perfect picture, if it hadn't been for my cousin. Then as we started descending, I was okay looking out the window, knowing that the ground was coming closer.