Hawaiian Pools | Teen Ink

Hawaiian Pools

February 27, 2015
By TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California
TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." -William Shakespeare


  A few years ago one Summer I went on a journey to the island of Maui with my brother and father. For most of our trip we lounged on the golden, sun-baked beaches and swam in the warm waters or we would go drink rich smoothies on our hotel balcony that overlooked the Pacific. Although one day we decided to go on an adventure. Deep into the island. At least thats what we liked to to think. Once our journey into the beautiful green interior was well underway we soon become side tracked by a pineapple plantation. However this was no ordinary plantation. There were tropical flowers of all colors that were scattered as far as the eye could see. As well as tall trees that provided the best shade I have ever known and looked magnificent. It was like I just stepped into another world, and I enjoyed every second. On our way out of wonderland I got the best and freshest smoothies on the face of this or any other planet. They cut the pineapple and squeezed the freshly harvested sugar cane into my drink then mixed it up in a concoction of pure tropical bliss in a cup. After drinking the smoothie we were on the road again to head deeper into paradise. Since the air was warm and pleasant we set the top of the convertible down  and because the smoothie relaxed me so much, I quickly fell into a deep sleep. Once I awoke we had arrived at our next destination. Several small pools of dark blue water with a large one nestled along the back of a cliff. My brother and I knew exactly what to do. Run as fast as we could into the biggest body of water possible. One thing we didn’t consider was how freezing cold the water was. After I jumped in I was hit with a shocking cold that flooded into me and down into my core but did we care? No, not at all. For at the top of cliff stood a grand old tree and on this grand old tree there was a rope that went all the way down to a slightly elevated rock. We swam rapidly to the rope so we could begin diving and flipping into the icy pool. I grabbed the rough brown rope and took a deep breath just in case I died and then jumped off with all my might. I tried to wait until I was the highest I could get and then I dived straight down into the pool. Fortunately for me it was about  15 feet deep.  After many more adrenaline pumping swings we headed back for our beach and warm ocean. Even though we love the beach nothing will ever come close to those deep, dark blue Hawaiian pools.