A Good afternoon | Teen Ink

A Good afternoon

March 5, 2015
By Anonymous

One afternoon my dad and I decided to go hunting.  We climbed to our stands, and I texted him to tell him I was in all right.  Then I put an arrow in my bow and hung it on the bow hanger.  It was a nice afternoon; the little birds were chirping; the fat squirrels were barking.  The farmers had taken half the corn off, and they had beans cut and tilled up, so a wonderful smell of fall filled in the air. 
As I sat in my stand, I heard a crunch, so I looked.  There has a doe and little buck, so I let them walk.  There was a field that I could barely see, but I saw a buck.  It was a nice buck.  Then it left, and I didn’t see it anymore.  I sat there and texted my dad to see if he had seen any.  He said, “Yes.” I was kind of jealous because I didn’t have one yet, and he shot one earlier in the season.  I sat there playing a hunting game on my phone until the deer moved, and but I didn’t see any.  I was sitting in a bottom of the ravine, so it was darker there faster.  It was dark for me, but the field I could still see. 
I climbed down and something told me to put my arrow back in my bow.  Unsure why,  I did anyway.  I started slowly walking up the ravine and looked at the top of the field; then I walked the field line.  I looked up and saw there was a deer, and it was a buck.  I jumped on my knees, and I saw it was headed to my dad.  I told him, “Sit tight.” A big buck is headed your way.  Then I snuck over to a big bush, so it would hide me.  I heard it start lightly jogging through the corn.  I looked up, and he came right to me!
Stunned, I stopped him about twenty yards from me.  Anxiously, I shot.  I just remember the sound of the arrow leaving and listening to the “thwack” sound it made when the arrow hit him.  I started getting nervous.  I just thought to myself, ‘Big Buck Down.’  I watched him run away, listening to the corn break. I was excited because I knew I made a good shot, so I called my dad and told him, “I hit him good.”  I was watching the deer as I was talking to him.  I didn’t see the deer enter the woods, but I was not sure.  My dad walked to me; then we talked about it, and then we started to trail the deer.  I couldn’t find blood, and I was getting worried because I thought I had a good shot.  I cut to the other field.  I walked in between the field lines, and I found blood! I was delighted.  I was the happiest kid in the world.
We followed it, and my dad kept telling me to shine in front of me because he thought he saw it.  I didn’t; then he told me to again.  I did, and there he lay, my first buck with a bow.  Cheerfully, I elevated his big rack.  It was the heaviest deer I’ve seen around here. He was heavy as a horse.  Then we gutted it. I won’t soon forget as I stuck my hands in the deer and watched the steam roll out of his belly.  We loaded the buck.  The next day I went to the check in station and weighed him, and he weighted 220 pounds field dressed. The deer had eleven points. I was proud.