Family Business | Teen Ink

Family Business

By BrendenV7 BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
BrendenV7 BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island

The decision made by my family to start a pet crematory has had a large impact in my life.  It went from being an idea to a reality that I would now be a part of for the rest of my life.  It started out small and over the years has grown to become a very successful and liked business.  Watching it grow over the years of my life and being a party of it as it did so made me excited to see where it was going.  I would never have guessed how far it would go and how much I am a part of it today.

It was founded back in 2004 by my grandfather, grandmother, father, and stepmother.  The idea came to my grandparent’s when they had sadly lost a pet of their own.  It was very sudden and had taken a large toll on them.  A saying my grandmother used when she lost her pet was “Never absent from my heart”.  They decided to have the pet cremated.  When they saw how much of a nice job and how much care went into the cremation they decided to make a business of their own.  The fact that cremation can help a family cope with the loss of their pet is the reason why the business started.  They wanted to do it better and help others who are in need of such services.  My father and stepmother got involved they all worked together to get the business going.  It started off as a small building in a plaza of other business in Cranston, Rhode Island.  I was only 7 at the time and didn’t really notice how much effort and time was being put into the business.  Little did I know that one day I would work there as well.

Over the years it grew fast and became very popular in the area.  A new location was bought and larger building was built there.  This would become the main building for the business named “Final Gift”.  I visited a lot and would go there after school with my grandmother but did not yet work there.  After a few years I began working there, but only doing small things not really hard work.  Once I began to fully work there I would help out in the office area and put together files and binders for pet hospitals which we used.  I later became the person who would put together grief packages that go to everyone who gets a pet cremated at the business.

I remember when it was just a small business with only a few workers and not many locations.  In the past few years The Company expanded even more now having a building in New Hampshire, and buying a pet cemetery in Massachusetts.  I have been a big part of the cemetery as I have helped take care of the grounds and bury pets.  I have been on a few trips with drivers on their way to pick up pets in New York, it is a very interesting experience seeing how the process is done.    

It started off small but grew so fast and became so much more than once thought.  The business has truly been a big part of my life, with it being a topic for dinner and family events.  I have always been a part of it and became even more involved as the years went on.  It had become a part of me like a school, where I would be there a lot and it would have a large significance.   It has helped out my family and will forever be a mark on our lives.  I hope it grows even more and continues to be a success as it truly helps people.