If the Slipper Fits | Teen Ink

If the Slipper Fits

By Illusion_of_Imagery BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey
Illusion_of_Imagery BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different"- Coco Chanel

Once upon a time, I wore colorful pigtails and pink a with watermelon printed skirts. I had a pink be-jeweled tiara and an obsession with Barbie dolls. But I didn’t keep this style all to myself, I shared it with my first real friend, Olivia.

Preschool of 2006 was when I met my first real best friend. Olivia, the spunky blond haired girl who had the curliest hair ever; was the person who I shared everything with. From clothing to toys, we even planned our outfits for certain days of the week. On Mondays we would wear poke-a-doted skirts. On Tuesday we would wear flipflops. Wednesday was the day when we would bring in our favorite stuffed animal. Thursday was when we would wear jeans and hot pink accessories. Lastly, our favorite day of the week. Fancy Friday was where we would wear dresses, pigtails, fake pearls, and purple smakerz lipgloss. From time to time we would miss a day or two, but we generally stuck to our schedule. As little kids we saw each other a lot in school, but we could never go to eachothers houses because we were always so busy. Finally, one day, we had time after school. That is a day I will never forget.

It was a Friday in April and my mom was driving me to her house. I was so excited that I couldn’t contain my excitement. I would wiggle around and sing my favorite blues clues song until my mom would tell me to stop. When we pulled up into her driveway I saw Olivia holding her moms hand and waving at me. My mom unbuckled my seat and I sprinted toward her. We hugged eachother with a tight squeeze, for what seemed to be an eternity. My mom exchanged a few words to her mom and told me

“Nicole, you be a good girl. No making messes without cleaning up ok?”

I nodded and went into Olivia’s house. She led the way into her room and the first thing I noticed was the pink walls, pictures of her and me on the walls. She took my hand toward the hot pink couch. In front of the couch was a small teacup table and teacups on it. I already knew where this was going.

“A TEA PARTY!” I screamed of joy.

Olivia and I always loved to play tea party that was our favorite activity. She once again, forcefully took my hand and asked me to open the closet. So I obeyed and swung the doors open. There, hanging in front of me was what I’ve always dreamed of as a kid. A whole closet full of princess dresses! She took her favorite princess dress, which was a beautiful long blue dress with sparkles all over it, you guessed it, it was Cinderella’s. The dress also had a pair of transparent slippers, which matched perfectly with the dress. I choose my favorite princess, which was Aurora, with her pink and satin dress that surprisingly fit me perfectly. For my shoes, there was this French pink slipper that had ribbons all over it. Once we got dressed it was time to start the tea party.
“May I please have a cup of tea princess Olivia?” I asked in my best British accent I could attempt.
“Of course you may princess Nicole”. She said in a half Australian half Hawaiian accent.

After 15 minutes of tea time “Cinderella” made us a pumpkin carriage, which consisted of us sitting on chairs that were covered with a white table sheet. Than we went to an extravagant imaginary ball with our prince’s except this version of Cinderella didn’t start with a bad beginning. I started and ended happily. When it was my turn to set the scene for Aurora it didn’t take me long at all because I knew the story by heart. We re-enacted half of my story until my mom walked into the room.

Immediately I looked at he clock, hoping that she came early, but no, it was 7:30pm and my bedtime was coming really soon. Just what I expected my mom said
“Come on honey, Ill help you clean up and we have to go, it’s almost past your bedtime”.
Just like your typical 6 year old I exclaimed “But mom we haven’t finished!”

My mom having a cross look on her face said “Not another word Nicole, now clean up this mess and we are going home”.

So I obeyed and all 3 of us started to clean. In no time I realized that we were done. This was the end. The happy endings were over. I may be over reacting but this is the first time I was at a friend’s house and this was a big deal to me. I was being captured by the witch in her “pumpkin carriage” and had to drive all the way back to my dungeon.

In Writing class, we were assigned to write a story about a memoery about our childhood, and thus this piece was born.