Treasure of Waukesha | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha

By ArtistKNP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
ArtistKNP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

What makes Waukesha County special to me?  Is it because it’s close to my heart and  that is what I call home, more specially in Sussex inside the tree filled subdivision of Thousand Oaks where lives the little brown house of what I call home.  Yes, there are places in the county where I had compelling memories that happened and remembered with every small detail.
However, when I look at a map and look at Wisconsin and glance at Waukesha County all I see and think of is home.  Where my loved ones are and live and wait for me until I return home, while I’m gone.  The relief I get when I return home from my friends house or from a different region it’s honestly indescribable.  My breathing comes effortless and smoothly, doesn't feel like the world’s weight is not pushing on my chest any longer when I return home. I’m not gasping for air, just inhaling, painless air.
The relief and happiness that comes over me, is truly amazing. But, the best part is when I take my first step back into my house, the smell of laundry detergent and dogs hit my nose once again, then finally I get a glimpse of what I been waiting to see, my family. That is when when my heart skips a beat. Sometimes the tears come easy or they don’t, yet  my blue-gray eyes give a hint of comfort.  Relieving that I’m at peace knowing that I’m safe, warm, and loved, I whisper to myself ,”I’m home.”