Leprosy | Teen Ink

Leprosy

January 21, 2015
By erin_cymone SILVER, Mccordsville, Indiana
erin_cymone SILVER, Mccordsville, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"don't take my kindness for weakness, or my silence for respect"


Leprosy is a disease that has been known since biblical times. During the biblical times, and during ancient civilizations, leprosy patients were shunned and considered outcasts or untouchables. Back in those times, modern medical technology and effective medicines weren’t available so, people didn’t know that much about leprosy. They feared that leprosy was a deadly disease, it was incurable, and extremely contagious. But, leprosy isn’t that contagious. You can only get leprosy by coming in close contact with nose and mouth droplets from an untreated person with leprosy. Leprosy is a disease that affects the skin, mucous membranes and nerves. It can cause discoloration of the skin, lumps on the skin, sores, nerve damage in the arms and legs, and in very severe cases it can cause disfigurements and deformities. Leprosy isn’t very common in the united states but, it is possible. There are three types of leprosy. Tuberculoid is a less severe form of leprosy. People with this type of leprosy only have a few patches of flat, pale colored skin. This form of leprosy is also less contagious. The second form of leprosy is, Lepromatous. This form is a more severe form of the disease. It causes skin bumps, rashes, numbness, and muscle weakness. The last form of leprosy is, borderline leprosy. That is when a person shows symptoms of both forms of leprosy. Leprosy can be treated with antibiotics, anti inflammatory drugs, steroids, and a potent medicine called thalidomide. Leprosy is currently confined to tropical africa and asia. 180,000 people have leprosy worldwide.  Common symptoms of leprosy include, disfiguring skin sores, lumps or bumps that do not go away after several weeks or months, if the skin sores are pale colored. More severe symptoms of leprosy include, loss of feeling in arms or legs, and muscle weakness.  Leprosy is caused by inhaling nose and mouth droplets from an untreated person with leprosy.