White Room This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I sit on the plaid couch. I shift my weight and it creaks. Everyone knows what a dentist’s office looks like, but this one is worse. My eyes dart around the room, to the light fixture, to my mom, to the table with the magazines, to the front desk. The white door to the outside world of people with perfect teeth is so near and the one that leads to the room of no turning back is so far.

I sit, close my eyes, and concentrate, hoping I might disappear. Instead a picture enters my head as if my eyelids were movie screens. I am standing in a white room with no doors, no windows, nothing - except a mirror in the middle of the wall. I walk toward it and smile, and, to my horror, my teeth are green and yellow and purple and red. All are twisted and crooked; some are even upside down.

I open my eyes. I am back in the waiting room with my mom sitting next to me. “Alexandra Whisenhunt,” someone calls. I turn my head. “Time to get your braces,” a rosy-cheeked woman says. I get up and slowly walk to the room of no turning back.

:)MissLady(: said...
Nov. 22, 2009 at 12:24 am
O man I know that feeling! When I went and got braces I thought i wasnt going to make it out alive lol

Authorgal98 replied...
How was it? Cuz I really need them... haha.

:)krysten(: replied...
The first day or two your mouth is REALLY sore because there is weird things in your mouth. But after that it isnt bad at all. The pain is totally worth the finished product. My teeth are way straight cuz of braces, Im actually about to get mine off! :) Dont be afraid of braces lol you will love your teeth afterwards :)