Silent Cry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Touching or kissing you against your will, covering up your screams, and forcing you to perform sexual acts are all precursors to rape. Rape is the crime of having sexual intercourse with a person without his or her consent. One in four women will experience a sexual assault or an attempted sexual assault by the time she graduates from college. But only about five percent of victims tell the police. Why don’t women report these violent acts? Is it fear? Fear that their life could be scarred more than it already has been? Most women are afraid that if they tell it will deepen the damage that has already been done, or that it will cause the assailant to hurt them in an even more violent way.

This happened to me. I was sexually assaulted, and if I hadn’t told anyone, it could have led to rape. At first I kept quiet. My uncle would make sexual remarks and touch me in ways that made me uncomfortable, but I didn’t say anything. I was afraid that if I told, he would hurt me. For a while I kept silent, but that only made things worse.

He continued to mistreat me until I told my best friend. She said that the same thing had happened to her and she never told. Now every day she has to face the fact that she hadn’t stopped those small signs that gradually increased and ended in her being raped.

Since I didn’t want this to happen to me, I told my parents. They reported my uncle to the police, and he was later arrested for raping another young girl. I now can accept that what he did was wrong and that I made the right decision to tell.

You don’t have to cope with sexual mistreatment from others. You don’t have to be crushed and left to feel as if you are two inches tall. Hearing my friend’s story helped me to speak out about what was happening to me. All young women and men in this situation should do the same. If you speak out, you can make a difference.

mollybug13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:53 pm:
I told and it ended he got arrested but hes out now. Everyday is scary for me. He never even got convicted justa couple daysin jail.  It totally ruined me. Moving piece though made me ralize I can use my experiences to help others.

mollybug13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm :
sorry bout the misspellings.

JackieLoveJoy said...
things like this should never happen, I never spoke out.

Kassity said...
this is an amazing story. it makes me feel better to know that some people are gettting help about these things. i told someone and the police did nothing.

clumsyteardropper said...
this was written with such conviction... and it makes a reader that has to go through that really realize that you must tell someone.  ive been through that... i never told anyone.  it's recked my life.  i should have just spoke up...

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:03 pm:
I don't want that to happen to me and I agree when you said that we need to speak out. Hope you get better... 

Navidad15 said...
This happen to me and it took me  6 moths to tell my parents that i was touch by my own brther-in-law(my sister's husand).

wtfr replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:31 pm :
omg hi and i feel really bad for you this happened to my friend

SwimAngel said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm:
wow. very inspiring. thank you

alanacarlene said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm:
This piece was very good! That must have been so incredibly scary and I couldn't imagine anything like that happening to me. This reminds me of Lovely Bones. I'm so glad that you told someone! I'm sure it must've been hard but you are very inspiring person! Thank you.

EternalAlexandra said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm:
You are truly an inspiring person and I think that its great that you had the courage to tell someone, 

PrincessPineapple said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm:
this is good! it is a message that should be heard by everyone

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is an incredibly inspiring piece.

annkaykay2011 said...
Mar. 31, 2009 at 1:57 am:
Very brave and strong.

daisha C. said...
Mar. 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm:
dear anonymous, you are incredibly brave for this article. i really hope that it will inspire other females , or even males.

leesunyour12 said...
Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:01 am:
I think you are incredibly brave to share this story.

StayingGoldThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:41 am :
You're brave to share this story, and I know how it feels... I've never reported it, but I was lucky enough to have it stop. I pray for the girls who don't tell anyone.