Musical Bonds | Teen Ink

Musical Bonds

By Mr.Fluff BRONZE, Midpines, California
Mr.Fluff BRONZE, Midpines, California

The most interesting experiences in the line of music has to be the people you meet while conducting business. It is the extreme diversity and range of people in the music industry that confuse me the most. You could discover a bum on the street who can shred better chords than Jimmy Hendrix ever could, or find a rich classical practitioner who owns a eighty-thousand dollar grand piano whose ivory keys have been worn by the hundreds of hands to create a masterpiece. The most striking is when the roles are flip-flopped. The homeless man once was a piano major while the rich man has an obsession with Led Zeppelin. This is where music is the most surprising, it has so many different styles and combinations, nothing is black and white, every person experiences sound and tone differently, which is how new, unforeseen, styles are born into the world projecting their chords and harmonies outward, like a child’s wailing voice on the day of its birth. The limitless possibilities allow one to express themselves exactly as they intend to.

The musicians and music lovers you meet on your note-filled journey add color to the entire exposure. Different opinions circulate like a tornado looming over Kansas City pastures, yet it is all natural and beautiful even. This chaos is how music forms, and the people who shape music are all distinctively separate from one another, yet they unknowingly make up a class - a sect. Their kindness, their rejection, pride, or even unoriginality are all pieces of the puzzle which form a musician. The quirky faces they make while playing notes, their ‘new age’ idealism, the old worlds ‘conformism’, are all doled out to those with the talent or love for music in order to continue on with the tradition.

The friendships that form - harmonies, just of another kind. The details are what is important: that is a false statement. It is the implied that really holds weight; the feelings, pathos, which conveys almost everything a musician wishes to infer or have a listener know. Sometimes,  a single line can be the nexus of a ballad, where the rest is nothing more than aesthetics. A distraction at best. Musicians can write lyrics like a poet or paint a picture for others to gaze upon with those lyrics, but the options are never limited. The only borders placed on the work of a musician is those upon his imagination. To envision a society where mode of speech no longer impedes mankinds progression is to be a musician. It is being creative and insightful into subjects that help people, which you then translate so others can draw what they will from it. Like an anonymous psychologist.

Not only does music influence other musicians, but the non-musical as well. A specific song a couple revolves around, theme songs, favorite songs - every person appreciates some kind of music. The most compelling attribute music has attained - the universal application - it exudes. Music can be understood and critiqued by every race, religion, country, and nationality. People are allowed to convert the lyrics to fit with their thoughts and musicians know this. They can help people relate to each other, quell disagreements, and help lost souls achieve peace through literal Harmony. Human support can stem from music, make others recognize misdeeds as well as prevent future atrocities. Musicians can express in a way that is not harmful to ourselves or others.

Language is no longer allowed to handicap expression.