The Changing Curve | Teen Ink

The Changing Curve

By Pkkhan SILVER, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Pkkhan SILVER, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

When we’re little, we are told by our parents and society as well, that we could be anything we wanted. We believed those words and cherished them as if our life depended on it. As I grew up though, I realized though that not only did your parents push you to do something that deemed successful in the long run, but also what pleased society as well. When I went to middle school, it was known as our pre-adult years. The years where I could take the time to get a firm idea of what I would like to achieve in my years of high school as well as college. My choices went from many to a select few with such ideas as lawyer, engineer, doctor, or an architect. When high school came around, my choices decreased even more, with my family wanting a specific occupation in mind, doctor.

As I started ninth grade I chose pre-med as my pre-curricular program, but as the months went by I realized that I had no interest. As I dropped out of my pre-med I was confused as to what to do from there. Unsure of what I wanted to focus on, but I knew that my choice as well as my parents’ choice, science. From so many fields to choose from, the possibilities were endless. From different fields such as chemistry, physics, biology, quantum mechanics, and stem biology, it was hard to choose just one to find interesting. Over the Summer of 2014, I found an interest in chemistry and psychology. The two topics stemmed curiosity that I decided, why not focus my attention on this for a while. As time went by, I realized I grew a love for knowing how to study the human mind and go in depth about chemistry. My family was thrilled that I still chose science as my main interest, but somehow I still felt incomplete. I grew an interest in writing. It helped me to escape reality and kept me busy. Busy to the point where I felt happy to do work. Of course, my parents denied it and society doesn't classify it as a high class job. I then accepted the fact, why must I be a victim subjected to being perfect when society won't even realize that it's the imperfect one.

I realized that society is just morphing us into being what they want to be while us teenagers are blind to what it exposes us to. We are pressured everyday to be perfect, when in fact, it’s society that is not perfect. We have been pressured by society to make the “right” decision when in fact, we just make bad decisions. Everyday, we wake up blind. We are told by people all around us, it's okay to be anything you want because it makes a person unique, but the more I've realized, being unique deems to be crazy and overrated in this world we live in. As I grow older everyday, I realize through all the negatives of today's society it's taught me a valuable lesson; fear is a choice and the only way to overcome that fear is to create your own character and to be comfortable no matter what the situation. Only you can only get over obstacles if you truly are happy with who you are as a person.

This piece is probably one of my many proudest writing accomplishments. I wrote this to personally vent my feelings to a blank piece of paper in hoping to be relieved of my personal problems, but it didn't seem enough to satisfy me. When I shared it with very few people to get some advice, they all said that it was a great way to get todays society of teenagers to not feel alone in the constant battle of fighting two sides. Their own and their parents.