The Real Hero | Teen Ink

The Real Hero

By Lacrossegirl09 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
Lacrossegirl09 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

The thing about pain is it demand to be felt.

I couldn’t believe what I have just read. My Prince has been locked in a tower miles and miles away from my castle. I ran down the spiral case of stairs from my room, into the grand ballroom. I saw my parents standing there with party planners getting ready to set up the ball that my family has every year.

“Mother did you hear about Dalton?”

“No, what's the matter dear?”

“Dalton has been locked up in a tower miles and miles from the castle!”

“OH dear!” said mother.

“What am I going to do?”

“I’m sure theres a very good reason why Dalton’s locked in a tower. Go along my dear mother and I am very busy planning for the ball,” said father.

I turned around and stomped out of the room like a little 2 year old not getting their way. I stomped all the way to the swing set in my backyard that I have had since I was a little girl. I sat on one of the rusted swings letting the small breeze push me. I sat there for at least three hours thinking about how I’m going to get Prince Dalton back before the ball tomorrow. I finally got up from the swing and walked into town to find my friend Anakin. Me and Anakin have been bestfriends since we were born. We know everything about each other and have so many childhood memories with each other. He helps me with every problem I have and usually knows how to fix it in a flash. I arrived to his house and put my hand in a fist and forcefully knocked on the door.

“Hey Anakin I need your help open up!”

“Yes can I help you?” he said as he opened up the door.

“Have you heard about Dalton?”

“Yes who hasn’t heard about Dalton?, its all over the whole kingdom.”

“I need your help on rescuing him before the ball tomorrow.”

“Alright come in and we can figure something out,” he said.

I walked into Anakins house. His house wasn't the best eye sort, it was a little banged up inside. I have offered to fix his house a million times, but he never takes it. We walked into his small kitchen and sat at his wooden table. Anakin went to one of the cabinets and pulled out a huge map. He spreaded it out flat onto the table and start running his finger across it, as if he was looking for something.

“Oh no,” he said.

“What?”

“Looks like theres more to this rescue than you think.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well to get to the tower that Dalton is locked up in you have to go through memory lost forest, past the mini volcano valley, and through the dark graveyard,” he said.

I laughed for a good minute. “I’m pretty sure I can handle getting to Dalton,” I said.

“Well if you're so sure of that then you better leave tomorrow to get back in time for the ball.”

I hugged Anakin good-bye and headed home. I packed all the weapons I thought I would need on this rescue. The main weapon that I take much pride in is my bow. I call my bow lucky because everytime I use her I get a lucky kill. I settled her on her side, on my bench, next to my fireplace in my room. I climbed into bed, and put the covers over my face. It wasn’t long until I fell in a deep sleep of thoughts.  I woke up the next day to my father yelling at one of the party planners for not getting a DJ for the ball. I quickly flung the covers off of me and changed into my hunting clothes. I strapped lucky onto my back and tip toed to the horse stable. I let my horse Ralph out of his pin and hopped onto his back.

Me and Ralph started our way down a dirt path towards Memory Lost Forest. This forest can make you completely forget anything. Theres only one way to not lose your memory while walking through the forest, which is chewing on blue gum. Right as Ralph got to the beginning of the forest I gave him and myself a piece of blue gum. It may sound easy chewing this gum, but its not. It had a fishy kind of taste as if someone took a raw fish and made it into a piece of gum. Me and Ralph try to keep the gum in our mouths as we started going through the forest. The forest had big green trees that had skinny vines coming down from the branches. Flowers grew everywhere on the grass. A little pond flowed straight through the middle of the forest with a little waterfall above it. People sometimes walk into this forest and think it is just a normal forest. It looks the same theres not really any differences about it. People will walk into memory lost forest and may never be seen again. They get lost in the forest forever with no memory at all.

Me and Ralph started to get near the end of memory lost forest. When we finally got out we tossed the gum out of our mouths as if it was on fire and ran to the river to get a drink. We started back on the trail towards the tower. About two miles down we came to the mini volcano valley. The most dangerous valley out there to walk through. There are mini volcanoes the size of birds on the ground everywhere. They may look harmless but one little volcano can kill ten people on the spot. To not wake the volcanoes is to tip toe across the valley. If you're too loud the volcanoes go on an frant attack. I got off of Ralphs back and we tip toed through the valley as quiet as we could be. We came to the last volcano in the valley. It started to shake with anger. I stopped in my tracks and waited for it to stop. I started to tip toe a little fast and was able to make it out off the valley with no burns, but Ralph had burned off the tips of his hair on his tail. I petted Ralph and told him he will be alright and lets keep moving. As we made our way down the dirt road it started to get very chilly.

There was a large hill that we climbed up. As we got closer and closer to the top it got colder and very creepy. I had to turn around a couple of times because it felt like I was being watched. When we made it to the top of the hill there was graves everywhere. My body started to tense up when i saw all the graves. A kind of tense of being annoyed and frustrated. This wasn’t a creepy scary graveyard that was haunted. This graveyard is where the undead will try to get you to dance until you die from dancing so much. When me and Ralph started to make our way through the graves skeletons started popping out of the ground like popcorn cooking. They all had sombrero looking hats on with big smiles on their bony face. I tried not to look any of them in the eyes so then I wouldn’t have the urge to dance. I got up on top of ralphs back and had him run down the hill away from the graves.

We came across the tower where Prince Dalton was. Outside the tower was a neon blue dragon guarding the doors. He was behind a red rope with a clipboard in his hands. On the clipboard were the names of the princess that were welcomed to save the prince. I knew my name wouldn’t be on there, because the dragons family wasn’t invited to one of the parties my family had thrown. I looked at Ralph for any ideas of getting passed the dragon.

“Okay Ralph you're going to distract the dragon while I run through the doors!”

Ralph nodded and made nae sound. Ralph ran up to the dragon trying to talk through his body language and I ran behind the dragon and went through the door quietly. When I got inside the tower it was very dark. There was a huge spiral black case of stairs with little torches of fire along the them. I started to lightly run up the stairs. I finally got to a door that had a big handle on it.

“This must be where Dalton is!”

I open the door and saw Dalton laying on a white bed with his hands by his side. I leaned onto the bed and kissed his lips. His eyes slowly opened as if he was in a deep sleep. He suddenly popped up is head and looked at me.
“Bella you came for me!,” he cried.

“Of course I did. I love you!”

I gave him a big hug and we hurried and went down the stairs. Ralph was still distracting the dragon. Ralph saw me and Dalton go off behind some trees. Ralph waved off the dragon and started walking down a trail. Soon Dalton and I met up with Ralph. We traveled all night to get back to the castle before the ball tomorrow. When we got back I kissed Prince Dalton goodnight and went to bed.

It was 12:00pm and I was getting my hair done for the ball. I was wearing a ocean blue dress with clear glass heels. I started to make my way to the staircase and gently ran my hand down the railing. I saw Dalton at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me with one arm out for me to grab.

“Can I have this dance my princess?”

“Yes you may,” I said.

We danced all night long to the different kinds of music.  And I finally got my prince back and I couldn’t have missed him more.

A princess trying to save her prince.