Life of a Laborer | Teen Ink

Life of a Laborer

December 9, 2014
By Larry_Emerson BRONZE, Beals, Maine
Larry_Emerson BRONZE, Beals, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The longer the night dragged on, the more cold and irritated the workers got. They were all working towards the same goal: getting paid. Finally, the truck arrives to the loading dock on the cold, clear, beautiful night. The red back up light approached the steel, automatic garage door. One of the workers walk over to the door and press the small red button labeled “Up.” As soon as the door begins to lift off the ground, you see the steam rolling in from the cold outdoors, even though the shop is only heated to 41°. A loud bang comes from behind the crew, but they know what it is. The time clock just switched hours. It is now 11 o’ clock and none of them have had a break in a little over 14 hours now. Finally, the drivers back bumper touches the loading dock, and one of the workers walks up and opens the pull up garage door. 53 feet of pallets of lobsters were lined up from the nose to the end of the trailer. The room sat silent for a few seconds as the workers settle into unlocking the last truck they have to unload before they have to wake up and do it all over again in 6 hours. The worst part is yet to come: the take home pay at the end of the day for the hours that they work.