Escape | Teen Ink

Escape

By RoadRacer BRONZE, Rustico, Maine
RoadRacer BRONZE, Rustico, Maine

There she is sitting in the water, glorious and beautiful. She could make any man weak in the knees. She’s the apple of my eye, my pride and joy. I run across the beach, dive into the refreshing ocean and swim out to her. She’s smooth and shining, with beautiful curves and an impressing height. Just the sight of her gives me wings, and to touch her gives me a rush.

Fifteen feet from bow to stern, fiberglass hull and wooden keel. She’s made for two people, but usually we can fit 4 sailors on board.She’s missing the ticklers, a cunningham, trap gear, a spinnaker and one of the four batons. Most people wouldn’t sail if they’re missing those parts, but we don’t have much choice. Parts for our boat are rare. That’s why the other batons are homemade, as are the boomvang, seat, tiller, tiller extension, hiking straps and the mooring; pretty much everything that holds the boat together.In addition to all that, I painted her myself. Surprisingly, she still floats.

To begin, for you non seaworthy folk, we’re looking at a sailboat a little longer than a pickup up truck, white on the sides and blue on top. The sails used to be white but now they’re a faded yellowish colour from so much saltwater and sun. Those blue ropes flailing around like snakes are what we use control the sails. The golf club in the back is what we use to control the direction of the boat. That empty laundry detergent bottle is not garbage; it’s a very fancy buoy. Cat litter box? No, that’s a bailer. If we start taking on water, it’s your job to use that and dump it back in the bay. Welcome aboard!

Secondly, let me explain how this works. We sit right here on the edge and put our feet under this seatbelt so that we don’t fall out. It used to be for your body, now it’s for your feet! Don’t worry, the creaking and groaning of the boat is normal. You hold onto this blue rope in your right hand and the metal wire in your left. That breeze feels great on your face doesn’t it? You’ll enjoy being in front. Now when the sails switch sides, so do you. Make sure you duck underneath the boom, or else it goes boom! So don’t get in its way. Trust me, I know from personal experience and you do not want to know what that feels like.

You have the easy job, you’re crew. Today I’m skip,so I have to steer the boat and control the main sail. Therefore I’m only holding on to the boat with my feet. I have to keep in mind the wind, the waves, other boats and most of all not letting you fall out. Whenever I yell stuff at you, it’s best do it first and question why afterwards. It can get crazy sometimes, with high winds, other boats and equipment malfunction. However, today I predict nothing but smooth sailing.

We start by pushing off from the beach and head East. Looking around our bay you could almost say it feels like we’re in a big puddle, surrounded by land. To the North is Robinson’s island, with tall trees towering the coast. To the West, where we came from is a cottage area and beyond that point of land there is a little dock where there is another little boat, but you can’t see it from here. To the South there is the golf resort, with its cute white cottages all in a line. To the East, where we are headed, is Brackley Beach, where huge dunes stretch up against the sky.

Halfway there, I decide it’s time for a break. How do we take a break on the boat? We capsize! Don’t worry it’s completely safe. Just don’t forget to hold on to the boat.All you do is lean to one side of the boat… and lean… and lean…Suddenly the boat gives in, tips over and splash! You’re in the water! The water is cold compared to the heat of the sun, but not unpleasantly so. It’s salty, a taste I’ve grown accustomed to.The sail crashes against the water above your head. You can hear the muffled splashing and parts of the boat hitting the water and at the same time the ropes become alive like vines in the water, trying to entangle your feet. Then you try to remember which way is up. Swim up to the surface and immediately the sun is kissing your face again. Yes, I hear you calling for me. No I didn’t drown. Don’t let go of the boat! To bring the boat back up we just get on the far side and lean on the boat again. Hop in!

See that beautiful boat to your left? Sailing by faster than a race car? That’s a catamaran, a Hobie Cat to be precise. The sail is a rainbow of neon colors. It floats on two pontoons, shaped like small canoes. Look at it slide gracefully through the waves like a hot knife through butter. I would give an arm for a boat like that. The problem is I need both arms to sail.

The wind at our back, nothing but water for miles ahead.You can hear the birds calling to each other and watch them dive like kamakazees for fish. You feel the breeze, the hot sun quietly roasting you, and the waves that rock the boat gently. The salty smell lingering in the boat.This is my favourite way to sail.It’s a shame there’s no autopilot, I could sleep to this lullaby of nature. You may not think of the boat as a soft pillow, but with a snug lifejacket hugging my chest and my fingers dangling in the cool water somehow it all works out to be so comfortable. This is how I get away.Nowadays, there is so much to worry about; school, money, friends and the future. It’s all so stressful. I love it out here on the water. Something relaxes inside of me when time and destination are so meaningless, and all that occupies my mind is the wind and the waves.

“We cannot control the direction of the wind, but we can always adjust our sails.”
-Unknown

the quote at the end doesn't have anything to do with the story, i just find it inspirational