The Man in the Bathtub | Teen Ink

The Man in the Bathtub

By AquaRev PLATINUM, Bonner Springs, Kansas
AquaRev PLATINUM, Bonner Springs, Kansas

When I was two years old, my mother used to set me on the counter in the bathroom while she did her makeup and hair to keep an eye on me in the mornings. She said I often liked to make faces in the mirror and giggle at myself, like a normal toddler. However, one morning, she said I was looking into the mirror which was opposite of the bathtub, and I smiled and pointed into the mirror, which reflected the opposite side of the room. She asked me what I was pointing at and I replied, “There’s a man in the bathtub!” This didn’t alarm her because as she could see there was no other person in the bathroom except for us. Besides, two year olds have active imaginations. She thought nothing of it until sometime later.

Two years later, when I was four and my younger brother was two, my mother had my brother in the bathroom with her. He sat on the counter like I had before only he didn’t often look in the mirror. He would play with my mom’s makeup brushes or powders while she was doing her makeup and hair. One day, while sitting on the counter, he dropped the brush he had been playing with and started giggling. My mom asked him why he was laughing, noticing that he was staring directly behind her.
“Mama, there’s a man in the bathtub,” he said, pointing to the empty bathtub.

This story is entirely true. I was told it many years later by my mother, who to this day is still creeped out by the occurrences, and I thought I would share it with you all. I hope you enjoy it.