The Winding Trails of Robinson’s Island | Teen Ink

The Winding Trails of Robinson’s Island

December 2, 2014
By Nat13 BRONZE, Charlottetown, Other
Nat13 BRONZE, Charlottetown, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The cool autumn wind whips my face as I emerge from the van. I pull up my scarf to cover my chin and close the door with a slam. His warm hand in mine, we smile sweetly at each other. My boyfriend and I embark on our adventure through the unfamiliar territory of Robinson’s Island.


We follow the narrow dirt trail and are submerged into the forest. The smell of pine trees and mud fills my nostrils. I can almost taste the earthiness. The shaded trail is freezing without the warm rays of the sun. However, the leaves are breathtaking. Yellow, red, orange, brown and green. We watch them swirl their way down until they hit the ground. They land in a colourful mosaic that covers the forest floor like a blanket. The moss on the trees is a vibrant green, the colour you’d expect from the grass at a golf course. It felt plush and squishy, like a wet sponge. I can hear people laughing in the distance. I guess others had the same idea as we did, to take a lovely stroll this fine afternoon. We continue our walk down the winding dirt trails, the leaves crunching beneath our boots.


We turn a corner and encounter the strong smell of salt water. To our left, a bench sits overlooking the ocean. We take a seat. The sound of the waves crashing down on the sandy beach is more than enough to make me relax and enjoy this amazing moment. Taking one last look at the eroding shore line, we decide to leave this special spot for another couple to find. Waving goodbye to the whitecaps, we continue our journey.

A teeter totter! This wooden playground structure is in the forest for biking enthusiasts who enjoy a little challenge. It could also be for some teens who want to attempt to balance on it while holding hands. The plank of wood bobs up and down beneath our feet. My hair sways back and forth and sticks to my face. I jump off the teeter totter and look up. The trees tower above me like a cool cave. Their trunks are as big as the columns you’d see in Athens. The few birds that haven’t migrated south yet chirp to one another and fly from branch to branch. In the end, we decide to keep walking. 

We’re chatting when a small furry animal scurries by. I jump and turn my head to see a tiny squirrel sitting on top of a rotting tree. He is quickly licking his front paws and rubbing them over his ears. “Aw! He’s so cute!” I exclaim. We observe this little fellow for a while before moving on.


At the next intersection, we notice another lonely bench in need of our company. This one faces Cymbria. Across the water we can see a single row of white cottages perched on the rocky ledge. The tide is high and the water is very dark, a deep blue. From where we are, we can see whole bay. We savor this precious moment, the few seconds seeming to last an eternity. I stand on the bench and my boyfriend puts his hands gently around my waist so that we can replicate that famous Titanic scene. We both laugh in chorus.


Before re-entering the van to leave, I take one last breath of the cold air. This sends a shiver down my spine and makes the hair on my arms stand on edge. I smile and jump in. I had the best time walking on Robinson’s Island. I would even dare to say that this was one of my perfect days.