Another Normal Day | Teen Ink

Another Normal Day

By vashii SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
vashii SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Just another normal day in high school, as I’m walking down the hallway to my first period class, I suddenly did not feel so well. I stopped and just held my stomach. My best friend asked me was I okay, I ran straight to the bathroom and as soon as I got there I puked all in front of the first stall. It was horrible, it just kept coming out. All the girls in the bathroom was screaming saying “eww your dirty, you better clean that up, oh my gosh,” I felt so embarrassed; I dropped to the floor with shame and humiliation, all I could do is just cry.
I heard people coming in saying “get up sweetie, come on, I’ll help you,” it was the principal and a custodian. They took me to the nurse office and my parents were called to come pick me up. When I got home I went straight to sleep. When I finally woke back up, my mom was cooking dinner, the smell made me feel sick. I don’t know why but lately everything made me feel that way, all I ever wanted was juice and water because my mouth was always dry. I went to the kitchen and told my mom I wanted to go to the doctors and she said she would call to schedule my appointment the next day. Days later I had a doctor's appointment they examined me, and gave me a urine test. When the doctor came back in the room to tell me I was already two months pregnant; that broke me, all I could do was cry. I kind of already thought I was pregnant but it actually being confirmed was just too overwhelming. From that point on I knew my life was going to change drastically.

My family was devastated, my dad came crying to me, telling me how disappointed he was and how I broke his heart, which made me cry. My mother screamed at me saying "YOU KNOW I WAS A YOUNG MOTHER, WHY WOULD YOU MAKE THE MISTAKE OF GETTING PREGNANT?, HOW CAN YOU RAISE A CHILD AT SIXTEEN?, I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO HAVE THE LIFE I HAD, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE EASY." I didn't know what to say, my whole life came crashing down on me. My brothers wouldn't speak to me, and all my sister did was cry. I felt like and outcast in my own home. I didn't know what I was going to do.

As the months went by, I began to show more and more. Winter was approaching soon so I was able to wear big hoodies so people wouldn't notice as much; that didn't work as well as I thought it would. when people first started to find out I was pregnant I was really nervous, they would ask me if I was, talk about me behind my back and to my face, some just starred at my stomach, while others pointed; even the teachers looked at me sideways, I’m pretty sure they Gossiped  about me behind closed doors. Through it all I had my boyfriend, my best friend, and my one teacher that didn't judge me because I was pregnant. It was not like I wasn't still a good student. I was completing all of my work, attending school every day except when I had doctor’s appointments. What hurts the most was I couldn't play basketball, run track, or volleyball anymore and Sports was my specialty. One day I walked past a couple of my coaches and I could hear them whispering to each other "what a waste of talent, she messed her life up; she doesn't know how hard it's going to be." The disrespect and betrayal was real. I had lost all the people I thought were my friends, and the teachers I looked up to; they were all gone.

Dimere, Laniyah, and Mrs. Tanya was there through it all, they made school feel like it was not as bad as I thought it was; I still had some people that cared about the person they know and love. My boyfriend always told me he was going to be here for me, besides he was scared of my dad so he definitely wouldn't leave me to raise a child on my own. Dimere already had a well-paying job, so instead of us spending money like we always did, we had to start saving up for the baby.

March is approaching, my baby girl is coming soon and I couldn't be any happier, worried, exhausted, and frustrated in my life. I'm huge, I feel like I'm about to bust; my feet looks like elephant feet, my nose is stretched across my face, and I'm in so much pain. My family finally accepted the fact that I will be a teenage mother, I have no choice but to finish school, which is the best choice for me. Through all the crying, betrayal and disappointment I still walk with my head up just waiting for Neveah to come out. Since these past 3 months I stopped caring about what everyone thought of me and how they looked at me because whether they liked me or not I was still going to have my baby girl. I knew that to be a mother I could not worry about what other people thought of me for my child's sake. Now I don't know what a normal day at school is.