Why I Love Dance | Teen Ink

Why I Love Dance

There are so many reasons why I love dance.  I feel like sometimes people who don’t dance, don’t understand why people dance or why they spend so much time dancing in the studio trying to perfect their dance or trying to be able to do that one move that they just can’t seem to understand.  The reason I spend about two to six hours a day dancing is just simply because I love it, and I think I can speak for the other dancers in the world when I say that the reason they spend so much time in the studio is because they love it too.

Dance is my passion.  It’s hard for me to explain why I love it so much and why I take all of the time I do to do it.  I feel like the reason I like dance so much is because of how the movement of my body goes with the flow of the music or how it makes me feel like the most beautiful person in the world.  I feel free and graceful and like I’m in my own world.  The feeling I feel when I dance is like no other feeling I have ever felt before, and it is by far the best feeling ever.
Dance is my stress reliever.  I don’t just dance when I’m happy I also dance when I’m stressed, sad, or mad.  When I feel mad or sad I turn on my music and I just dance.  It makes me feel so much better when I can express my feelings through movement, and it helps me think about why I feel this way.  It helps me relax and focus on what I need to do, whether it be forgiving someone or just doing homework that I just don’t want to do at the moment.  If I just want to forget about everything in the real world, I can just dance and let all of those worries go away.
I have been dancing since I was about three years old, so that would mean I have been dancing for about twelve, almost 13 years.  Since I have been dancing for so long, it has just become a part of me that I just couldn’t give up.  If I just quit dance for a year I would probably feel lost because I am so used to always having something to do every day.  It’s going to be hard for me to say good-bye to Dance Explosion when I graduate, because it has been like my “home away from home”.  During the summer I feel lost because I don’t have dance.  I have summer dance for one day, but I wish I had dance all summer.  Having the summers off though makes me love dance more because I miss it so much.
I love my dance family because they are so supportive. When people have dance team and/or different sports, everyone understands and makes their best effort to help them catch up. I have been dancing with the same group of people my entire life, and they are a great group of people with many different personalities. My dance teachers are always pushing us to do our best. They inspire me to try harder, and to make the most of every year, so that when it comes to competition day I am confident and ready to perform. Instead of being scared to go on stage because I am so unprepared. The last member of my dance family is our dance “mom” Shannon.  She is the owner of Dance Explosion and has been teaching us for over 20 years. She has dedicated her life to teaching young people how to dance. She will help us with anything we need help with whether it be dance related or not. When it comes to dance, if you need help with anything she will be right there helping you. If it’s not dance related, she will give you the best advice she can think of, and I know I could go to her for anything.
I love telling a story with the motions of my body. I love this because when I am dancing I can add my own personality to the dance making it my own story. The motions of my body would be like the way my arms move when my leg does something, or what my head does while I am moving my arms. When I watch big ballet productions they inspire me to want to be better because the dancers are so good and I just think to myself about how that could be me.
These are the reasons why I love dance so much. I wish that I could just dance all day and learn new things. I hope that people that don’t dance now understand why dancers dance so much. It is a great sport and I hope that you appreciate dance just a little bit more.

I really love dance and it is my passion. I hope that through my writing people will be able to see that.