Why I'm Proud to be American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be American

By Casanova17 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Casanova17 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Have you ever wanted to go outside and take in the fresh air, go on walks with family and friends? There are several reasons why I am proud to be an American, but most importantly I am proud because we have safe places for children and families.
Most countries don’t have a safe environment for families and children because of fighting or the area is just kind of a dirty area.
Neighborhoods in America give us places where we can go outside in the sunny 74 degree weather and ride our bikes, walk our dogs, or just to sit and relax. Safe neighborhoods give us a comfortable environment at home.
Neighborhoods are great places for children to play. When I learned how to ride a bike I was not stable. Without my mom’s permission, I decided I was going to go outside on a hot August day and ride by myself. I was cruising down a hill that looked like it was 1,000 feet deep.
CRASH!
I sprung right off my bike and skidded in the street. If it wasn't for my neighbors, I have no clue how I would have got home. Mrs. Andrews lived four houses down from my house and she comes out and asks me,
“Arden, are you alright?” she said in a worried tone.
Balling my eyes out I said, “I fell off my bike and hurt myself.”
Mrs Andrews then picked me up and brought me back to my mom. If I didn't live in an American neighborhood, I don’t know if anyone would have done what Mrs. Andrews did.
American neighborhoods give us a place where we can safely sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. My mom feels comfortable enough to sit outside with my 6 month old baby brother because she doesn't have to worry about it being too loud or dirty outside.