Book Therapy | Teen Ink

Book Therapy

October 31, 2014
By KaliAlley BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
KaliAlley BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Reading is a way to get away from the world around us. It is a way to escape from the problems that surround and consume us in our daily lives. For me, reading is a huge stress reliever. I read every day, sometimes more than once a day, for at least a few hours. Especially, when I’m feeling down about my day or extremely stressed about something, I always pick up a book and go to a quiet place in my house. Usually I go to my room and sit on my bed, but not always. Sometimes when nobody else is home I resort to the basement, where there is a comfy old couch to sit on and get lost in another world.


I enjoy most types of books. Mystery and action being my favorite. I also enjoy other genres, such as romance and sci-fi. One of my favorite authors of all time is John Green. He is the author of many great books including one of his newest, which has been made into a major movie track, “The Fault in Our Stars.”  This tells the story of a girl and a boy that fall in love under very interesting circumstances. Though they are both extremely sick with cancer, they show their readers that life doesn’t have to be all about that when you are sick. They teach us how to live our lives to the fullest regardless of what we may have coming in our inevitable futures.


I am currently reading a book called “Looking for Alaska”, by John Green. Though I am only half way through the book, I have found it to be very intriguing so far. It tells the story of a group of kids that go to a private school. They all have their own individual interesting backgrounds. Some of them came from good homes, growing up with two parents in a relatively happy home. While others grew up in a much less perfect environment, with not a so perfect home to come home to. This book tells how they all come together and get through school together, forming bonds they will carry with them throughout their lives.


There are so many books in the world, so many different words on so many different pages to be read. They all tell something different, some of them true while others are made up. They tell stories of people going places, near and far. They tell stories of people meet new people

from all parts of the world. They tell stories of loss and gain, and they tell stories of tragedy and happiness. Reading books is good for you. It gives you a chance to get insight on the world around you. It gives you a chance to feel and experience things that maybe you once before were not able to do without books. I love reading for this very reason. It allows me to learn so much, to open my eyes up to the world around me. I love getting lost in a good book, one in which I can grab and head out to the back deck, kick back and get lost in the words of the novel, forgetting all that is around me if only for a few hours.