Grandma | Teen Ink

Grandma

My grandma was in the hospital for 42 days. She went in for Mrsa. Mrsa is a staph infection and spreads in the blood, bones, and organs of the body. She went in to the Hospital on June 8th, 2014 because she wasn’t eating. When she first got there I couldn’t go and see her for a week or two because of the types of hallucinations she was having. When I saw her she was sleeping and talking at the same time. That day it was just my mom, uncle, grandma, and I. My mom told me it was okay to go and sit on the bed and hold her hand.  I did and started to cry because I didn’t like seeing her like that.
My mom said “If she wakes up and sees you crying it will make her upset” but I couldn’t stop crying.  I was crying because I’ve known her my whole life and now she was in the hospital for an infection that could kill her. I never thought that she had arthritis pains that bad. So she iced her lower back so it felt better, she also took some Motrin but it didn’t help.  So the next day my uncle took her to the ER. She was in the ER and then transferred to a hospital room and had to take all of these different kinds of medication and also had to take Insulin when she ate.
She would have Blood Cultures and Blood tests and other tests just to see what she had. She couldn’t pick her right arm at all, and most of the antibiotics she took didn’t work so she kept switching antibiotics. Since none of the antibiotics worked she was hooked up to a lot of machines including an oxygen tank that she didn’t need. She eventually had to go to the ICU and had to get way more care than she did in the less intensive care unit.  I was 13,I just got out of 8th grade. I had long brown hair and it was died, I also had my glasses and braces. I was wearing t-shirt, jeans and flip-flops. I was very sad and confused all at once but also happy that she was getting the care she needed. The next time I saw her it was summer, there were very few hallucinations by then and she was more alert about what was going on. She eventually got moved from the less intensive care unit for about a day, she also got moved to the maternity floor.
She got moved to so many rooms and floors.Her second time that she got moved to the maternity floor was the same week that she got moved to the rehab center. When  she got moved to the rehab center I was at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. So when I got back I went to go see her. She was doing very well ,she could lift her right arm a little more and was able to walk around her room with a walker.
She was able to be checked out in a wheelchair and go outside. After being there for about 2 months she was finally able to come home on September 4,2014. She is able to walk around the house  with a walker now and can lift her arm way more.

This is a stry aboutmy family