Upward Bound...And how it changed me... | Teen Ink

Upward Bound...And how it changed me...

October 20, 2014
By Dellaharris1 BRONZE, Calais, Maine
Dellaharris1 BRONZE, Calais, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Have you ever heard of a program called Upward Bound? If you haven't, Upward Bound is a program for low income students seekinh help with college and schooling. Upward Bound helps students pay for things like SAT's, ACT's, and tutoring.

This past summer I went to Upward Bound, and I have to say, it changed me. When I went there I was shy, I didn't talk to anyone much. After meals I would sit under the big trees outside of LADD house (the dinning hall) and write in my journal. I didn't have any friends there except the people who came with me from Calais (where I am from). I didn't even have a room with them. I was not looking forward to the rooming with three other people part of Upward Bound. In a suit we have two rooms which room two students. I was roomed with a girl named Natalie. When I first met her I was thinking "Oh my god, I get to spend the next six weeks with her?" But, by the end we were friends, and we talked every night for an hour after lights out. In the other room next to us, slept Myheisha and Taylor. Both girls are awesome! I truly miss them. When I first met Myheisha she came into my room while I was unpacking and told me if I ever needed anything to come see her. I couldn't even spell her name right until about four weeks into the six week program. Taylor, was amaxing, I envied her because she talked to her boyfriend every night after lights out, and I couldn't do that.

Besides the crazy living spaces, I made a lot of friends about three weeks in I was calling one of them BooBoo. About two weeks in we started signing up for workshops. I didn't see any that I liked, except one...Accapela. I had never sang in front of anyone, and figured I'd give it a try. I had a blast. One time, when we had to audition for a solo part in the song we were working on, I raised my hand. Everyone looked at me, SHOCKED. I could tell what they were thinking, "Shes so quiet, why is she doing this?" I didn't get the part, Myheisha did. But after I auditioned for it, my friend Brian looked at me and told me he thought I did good and that he voted for me. That was the first time that anyone had ever told me that I was a good singer.

Accapela was the main reason why I changed this summer. At our parents weekend, me and a friend sang our version of stay with me by Sam Smith, and my accapela teacher told me she loved it. Three or four weeks later at the last full night, we had a talent show, that I sung a solo at. I was later told I made four people cry. I was so nervous that people wouldn't like it, but after that I told myself that I was going to sing somehow.

 

Im back in school now. My friend Tyler introduced me to this site... In about a month I will be singing a song at UB again, itll be the hardest song Iv'e ever done. Iv'e been thinking about posting to youtube...

 

So, thats my Upward Bound story.

Upward Bound is family forever, and I know they will always be there for me, even though weve all been through so much. I love you all from UB!


The author's comments:

My experience at UB.