My summer with old friends | Teen Ink

My summer with old friends

By ThoreR BRONZE, Rochester Hills, Michigan
ThoreR BRONZE, Rochester Hills, Michigan

The first thing I perceived that morning was yelling . As I opened my eyes I noticed two of my best friends, Yannick and Noah, standing in front of me. Needless to say I was super confused! Why were they here and why were they here so early? Then it dawned on me, THE BIKE RIDE!

It was the summer of 2014 and I was enjoying it where I belong. In the sunny lands of California. Just a year earlier I had moved to Michigan with one promise from my parents that I would be allowed to visit all my friends. They kept their promise and here I was spending 2 weeks with the people I trusted most in the world. I had already planned out everything and decided to spend all my nights at Patrick’s house since he had been closest to me of the three guys. So as I woke up that morning on Patrick’s couch, in Patrick’s house, but with Noah and Yannick standing in front of me I was of course mystified. Well, I had been mystified, up until I remembered the bike ride.
  Just the day before we had put our heads together and come up with the great idea of riding our bikes to the mall, which was a 10 mile-round trip, so we could enjoy our summer to the full extent. Only one thing had gone wrong – me and Patrick had stayed up until 2 in the morning playing video games and hadn’t heard our alarms. So,
Yannick and Noah had taken matters into their own hands and ridden their bikes to Patrick’s house to wake us up.
So there we were, me and Patrick tired as heck, and Yannick and Noah waiting for us to get up. 20 minutes later after I had grabbed a quick shower and ate some cereal for breakfast we were on the road. Everyone on a bike and enjoying the beautiful weather we rode down the iron horse trail. The iron horse trail is a paved trail that still exists from the olden times and used to be a railroad track. It’s great for biking and long boarding since it’s just a straight path! It reached all the way to the mall, so the logical route for us. About ¾ of the way there Yannick noticed something.

“Hold up guys!” Yannick shouted over the wind; “I think we might have a problem!”

We all stopped and crowded around Yannick, only to see that his front tire was on the verge of being completely empty. I looked on my phone and saw the mall was right around the corner so we decided to just ride the last stretch and see what we could do then. Right next to the mall there was a business park with lots of trees and benches so we decided to stop there for a bit. This was probably a really good idea because, Patrick’s dad worked there! We had completely forgotten that up until then so Patrick called him and asked if he could help us.
In the end the solution was rather simple. We stuffed Yannick’s bike and Yannick into Patrick’s dad’s car and he drove them to a gas station. With the free air from there

they pumped up the tire and headed back. After that, with everyone happy, we went to the mall, ate some lunch, and sort of browsed through the stores. After a good hour of
messing around we started heading back. 5 minutes on the road Yannick realized his tire was almost empty again! So we hurriedly searched for another gas station and pumped it up again. This way we hopped from one gas station to the next until we were almost at yannick’s house.
As we approached the end of our bike ride we all slowed down to say our good byes. Shortly before we split ways, Yannick and Noah going left and me and Patrick heading right, Patrick yelled one last comment. “If I get woken up before 11 tomorrow morning, me and Thore are going to TP your houses and steal your things!”