The Party | Teen Ink

The Party

October 16, 2014
By Anonymous

“COME ON!” I yelled from the passenger seat. “We need to get there faster or I don’t know what I’ll do.” I was driving to the rural part of Washington Township. It was my girlfriend’s sister’s 13th birthday party, and it was going to be huge. I was way on the end of the Rochester School District lines and I was getting close to their house. I was on a bumpy dirt road in the middle of nowhere. When I finally arrived at their subdivision, I had to drive far back. They lived way inside the neighborhood. I got to their house fairly soon, but I didn’t see anyone there. I had no idea where everyone was. I used my phone to call people but it just kept ringing, and no one would answer. I thought to myself, “Well this is weird.” I looked around for a while to see if anybody was outside in the backyard. After I couldn’t find anyone, I went to the front door. There was a letter attached to the door. It read: “Dear Drew, The party you have been invited to was moved to another location and will be closing soon to become a private party.” I had to get across town quickly so I could get in. I called my mom and swiftly told her about my predicament. “Mom, the party was changed to a new location downtown, and we have to get there before the party becomes private and I cannot¬¬¬ get in!”  She replied, “Ok, I’m on my way to get you!”
While I was waiting for my mom to pick me up, I was trying to think of the fastest was to get from this rural neighborhood far away from the city, to a club on the complete other side of town. Finally, my mom came and we sped off to the party. On our way to the party we decided to go through downtown.  “That wasn’t the best idea,” I thought to myself knowing that downtown was never a quick way to get anywhere. When we got to the edge of downtown we noticed something odd. “We haven’t moved an inch in two lights!” I exclaimed in fury.  “Don’t worry. It’s all going to be alright. We’ll get you there in time,” said my mom calmly.
There was road construction going on, so there was only one lane open. At the traffic light from where we were, all around me I just saw the gray, blue, red and silver blur of the cars honking their horns and revving their engines. I was really starting to sweat now and we weren’t even moving yet. I looked out of the window and next to me, I could see a line of business men shouting in their cars. We were finally starting to move in the horrible traffic when suddenly it started to down pour outside. “How could this get any worse?” I hastily snapped at my mom.  
It was 5:25p.m., with only 5 minutes left until the party closed. I was staring out the window and I saw lightning which made me jump. At 5:45, the traffic finally let up and we got going. I told my mom that we should just go home, but she insisted that we go to the party anyway to see if we could still get in. When we got there, I witnessed some Déjà vu. No one was in the parking lot and I was super confused. I called my girlfriend Taylor and luckily she picked up the phone and answered. “What’s up Drew?” she asked confused. “Where is everybody? There’s no one here?” I said. “What do you mean? The party doesn’t start until 7:00!” she said laughing.
I was so relieved that I wasn’t going to miss the party. I took a sigh of relief, turned to my mom, and gave her a nod that everything was ok. I looked at the note one more time and realized my mistake. I misread the note! When I read 5:30, the note really said 7:30. I then just sat in the parking lot on my phone waiting for the party to start.


The author's comments:

Its about a party that went wrong