A Day To Remember | Teen Ink

A Day To Remember

By lobsterlovah SILVER, Jonesport, Maine
lobsterlovah SILVER, Jonesport, Maine

Baseball was, is and always will be the best game in the world. -Babe Ruth

Everyone has one day in particular that they remember. Some of the memories are good others not good. The day I remember the most was the day my grandfather died. That day will never get out of my mind.

He was a great man, a smart man, and a caring man. I called him pup and he called me Joseph. He loved to go camping and working in his wood shop. He loved his dogs, his family, and everything about life.

My grandfather was my hero and he’d do anything for me so I would succeed. He would help anyone if they were in need of it. We’d go everywhere together. Every Saturday we’d go to the dump to give them some more trash. Once I turned ten we went hunting all the time but we never saw anything. But all that was about to change on the day he found out he had cancer.

Once that happened we didn’t do as much stuff together not because he didn’t want to but because he couldn’t. At first everyone thought he’d beat it but as time moved on it was quite the opposite. Once hunting season started we didn’t go together I went with my dad and my grandfather was at his house or at the doctors. One day my dad went hunting and got a deer so a couple days later we went to visit him at the hospital and what would I bring along but the antlers to the deer. I was so excited to show him that dad had shot a deer and I think he was happy too but for the doctors we’ll never know.

Every day at school my mom was there to pick up my sister so I’d always go to the bathroom to see how he was doing. Everyday my mom would say he’s alright but one day I didn’t go down to ask her. When I got home that day she’d told me that he’d passed away while at school. My heart sunk but I didn’t cry because I just couldn’t believe it or accept it. At his funeral it was a sad time for everyone. Once they started speaking I started to cry a bit but I held it in. The first day I got back to school I balled my eyes out I wish I hadn’t but I couldn’t hold it in any longer.

I think about him every day and I always will. Sometimes it’s easy to write about him but most of the time I can’t do it. I wish he was still here but I know he’ll always be with me no matter where I go. If I was to choose anyone I could be like it’d be him. He was my best friend and a great mentor.

I hope that from this peice people will realize how valuable life is.