A Six Letter Word that Begins with "C" | Teen Ink

A Six Letter Word that Begins with "C"

By Myanna Chisum BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Myanna Chisum BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

February 28, 2013 was a tragic day for the family. Their lives were changed forever. They needed and had faith more than ever before. One of their twin daughters had a doctor’s appointment. It would be the scariest ones they ever had visited. Cherokee was their daughters name, she was a twin to her older by two minute sister Nevaeh. All of her life she wondered when and how she would die, now she knew she could die at any time, but could do nothing about it because this time she knew how she would die, and it would be from cancer.
Cherokee, a 13 year old girl who had the perfect life. She played softball, basketball, and volleyball with her twin sister. They could never pick their favorite even though they seem to like softball more. Since her and her sister weren’t old enough to play for the school, their dad coached all of their teams. Cherokee was the pitcher and Nevaeh was the catcher in softball. In volleyball Cherokee was the hitter, while Nevaeh was the passer. In basketball Coach just moved all the girls around. He had them either in left wing or point guard. He was also the school’s basketball and softball coach. Her mom worked for the school as well, she on the other hand was the vice principal. Cherokee and her sister were popular at school, not only because they were twins, but they were nice and were very pleasant to everyone. They always put someone else before they put their self.

On the very day of February 28, 2013, the doctor wanted to give both the twins a MRI. Nevaeh went first. They looked, nothing was wrong, all good. Cherokee went next, hoping nothing was wrong she jump right in. The machine made load noises at her. She was rather scared but a voice of a man came through the side on the machine on a speaker. The voice of this man who turns out to be the doctor told her to relax and they need to run some more test. After the test they told her to send Cherokee back in two weeks for another checkup.
Two weeks later Cherokee and her family were in the doctor’s office, after waiting for 45 minutes they finally called out her name. They walked back to her room, and this one was different. See at her doctor’s office they have the walls painted in different movies and teams etc. this room on the other hand was plain and white. The doctor walked in with a rather different look then usually. See his face is usually with a big smile and this time it wasn’t. He told Cherokee and her mom that there was something wrong. She had Cancer. Lung cancer, tears filled the eyes of 13 year old Cherokee. Her mom was rather calm.

Walking out of the Office was hard for Cherokee. She knew that now she would die from not a car wreck, not a shooting but from Cancer. Cancer, not a word she thought she would ever hear, nor say that’s how she would die from. So now having cancer meant she had to quite sports. That’s something she would have never done but now has to.

When she got home after Facebooking, Tweeting and Instagraming about her drastic time  at the doctor’s office, Cherokee sat on her bed and read the bible. She thought about heaven and how great it was going to be. She also thought about how sad it would be not getting to be on this earth. She looked at the pictures in her house. Some were of her and all her teams, others were family.

Later that night she had softball practice, she couldn’t practice. When told people about the appointment she didn’t cry, she told them that she may die but maybe she won’t, maybe she will live. After softball practice the heath family went to go eat. At the table of TGI Fridays they talked about how it would go. They were going to have to be very careful on what they did. Cherokee was fragile now. The twins understood and asked everyone to pray about them at school.

Two months later Cherokee had her very first day of chemo. It was rather hard at first but as she kept going she seems to get use to the pain. Instead of watching her hair fall out she shaved it. All of it, all gone. She never thought she would see the day she would be bald. Her softball team took her to go look at fun wigs. They all got some to make her feel a lot better.

Chemo got better and better. It was hard for Cherokee but she was strong. The cancer was leaving parts and parts at a time. She lost over 40 lbs. That dropped her weight to 80 lbs. which is underweight. She couldn’t play any sports what so ever, which was very hard for a girl that was used to having every day and every weekend filled with sports.

On June 23, 2014, two weeks after her final set of chemo. She sat in the hospital room waiting for news. Hours and Hours of waiting, finally the doctors came in with a huge stack of papers. He told them that what he had in his hand had been all of her chemo charts. Then he threw them in the trash. Cherokee grew a huge smile on her face. She had kick cancer right in the butt. She was cancer free. She had waited a very long time to hear the voice of the doctor saying “Cherokee, you are cancer free.”

on Oct. 7 2014 at 4:49 pm
AlliArsevell BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts

Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.

This was absolutely beautiful <3. I honestly wish that my mother heard the same news, but sadly, she passed away from Cancer. I cried a little, but I'm glad at the same time. Thank you for sharing this on TeenInk. It really helped me out