My World | Teen Ink

My World

By Puppylover22 BRONZE, Evergreen, Colorado
Puppylover22 BRONZE, Evergreen, Colorado

You've got brains in your head feet in your shoes, you can stear yourself any direction you choose

-DR SUESS

I sit by the river, wedged on a rock between the fire and the cold rushing water. I am free yet I am trapped in this moment. I feel icy and cold as the water jumps up at me like a vicious dog. Spraying me with cold water. It tastes salty like the ocean, though it is only the river. Yet I still keep my feet dipped in the water, as it pushes harder and harder, it keeps getting stronger and stronger. I feel small things whisk by my feet, lost in the strength of the current.

I lean closer to the fire, the rock beneath me crumbles and slides as if it itself is too cold to withstand my weight. I am wedged on this rock between the icy river and the warmth of the fire. It is black and white, cats and dogs and I hope I am closer to the warm fire side. The wind whispers by me and I hear it whistle in my ears. Soft and sweet like a bird’s song. I am lost on my own world one where it is only me, battling with the river, fighting to keep the fire alive. It is kind of like a dream getting pulled back and forth between worlds. Until I awake I sit up and see my family hovering around the fire like me and I smile, I know I am not alone. My brother shouts from the distance ” Whoa, did you see that fish!!!” it is funny, so childish to interrupt this moment. But I am still smiling.

My dad sets his hands on my shoulders and I put my hands on top of his. I run my fingers over his hand, feeling the rough ridges showing the hard work and strength that is in him. “Hey,” he softly whispers in my ear. I feel his breath warm and light like a soft summer breeze. ”Hey there,” he repeats this like I don't hear. I feel like I barely hear it, but I understand his soothing words perfectly. But I don't care. I am safe. I have someone here with me to help shield me from the angry river, someone to pull me closer to the warmth of the fire.

I loved this moment. The feeling of safety and secureness yet oddly uncomfortable. I will always remember it and the feeling!!

Wow. You write with such feeling. I felt like I was right there with you. I look forward to your next article.

Hedgehoglover10 SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado

Life is too short to be anyone but yourself.

I love this I feel like I am right there!!