My World | Teen Ink

My World

October 3, 2014
By Puppylover22 BRONZE, Evergreen, Colorado
Puppylover22 BRONZE, Evergreen, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
You've got brains in your head feet in your shoes, you can stear yourself any direction you choose

-DR SUESS


I sit by the river, wedged on a rock between the fire and the cold rushing water. I am free yet I am trapped in this moment. I feel icy and cold as the water jumps up at me like a vicious dog. Spraying me with cold water. It tastes salty like the ocean, though it is only the river. Yet I still keep my feet dipped in the water, as it pushes harder and harder, it keeps getting stronger and stronger. I feel small things whisk by my feet, lost in the strength of the current.


I lean closer to the fire, the rock beneath me crumbles and slides as if it itself is too cold to withstand my weight. I am wedged on this rock between the icy river and the warmth of the fire. It is black and white, cats and dogs and I hope I am closer to the warm fire side. The wind whispers by me and I hear it whistle in my ears. Soft and sweet like a bird’s song. I am lost on my own world one where it is only me, battling with the river, fighting to keep the fire alive. It is kind of like a dream getting pulled back and forth between worlds. Until I awake I sit up and see my family hovering around the fire like me and I smile, I know I am not alone. My brother shouts from the distance ” Whoa, did you see that fish!!!” it is funny, so childish to interrupt this moment. But I am still smiling.


My dad sets his hands on my shoulders and I put my hands on top of his. I run my fingers over his hand, feeling the rough ridges showing the hard work and strength that is in him. “Hey,” he softly whispers in my ear. I feel his breath warm and light like a soft summer breeze. ”Hey there,” he repeats this like I don't hear. I feel like I barely hear it, but I understand his soothing words perfectly. But I don't care. I am safe. I have someone here with me to help shield me from the angry river, someone to pull me closer to the warmth of the fire.


The author's comments:

I loved this moment. The feeling of safety and secureness yet oddly uncomfortable. I will always remember it and the feeling!!