Paquin | Teen Ink

Paquin

By ale_vg17 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
ale_vg17 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I was lying down in bed slowly falling asleep. Everyone in the house has had a heavy heart for the whole week. We all knew that it was approaching but still ignored the thought. We all heard the phone ring, the loudest it has ever been. A silence grew throughout the house. I could hear my heartbeat beat faster. I said to myself " Please just let them say he is okay." I prayed to let him be okay, that i would do anything.

Then i heard the most painful thing in my life; my mom crying. I heard my two sisters go to her to comfort her. I was in a dark room shocked, not finding the courage to go to my mother. I started to cry, I thought to myself "Why? Why did he have to leave?" After a while my sister Maria came into my room in tears. She told me "Mi Paquin passed away." I already knew but when she told me my heart felt like it had broken. My Paquin had died at 85 years old on January 14,2014. Maria embraced me into a tight hug. she said " It's going to be okay." But we both knew it was not going to be okay for a while.

When she left I was alone in my dark room. Lying in bed trying to process what had just happened. Thinking " What am I going to do tomorrow?" I knew I had to go to school the next day. I was scared that i would burst into tears in the middle of class. I was scared to show others that side of me. I thought of the memories I had with my Paquin. The first time I vistied Mexico that I remembered.  My Paquin was the one who gave me a tour of his house. The days the both of us went on asdventures together. Remembering even the little moments when I would take his medicine or a snack to him. When I went to tell him it was dinner time or when I accompanied him to feed his animals. the warmth in his voice and the happinness in his smiles.

As I thoght of him I relized how grateful I was to be able to have those memories. My sisters were not able to be as close with him as I was. I closed my eyes and pictured my Paquin as I remembered him. Then I saw him when i saw him for the last time. he was sick; he looked tired, and had a big purple bruise on his face. He was in alot of pain ,but now he has no pain. I took out my phone and looked for a picture I took at my aunt's birthday party. It was a familt group photo of my aunts,uncles,some of my older cousins, and my grandparents.

It was the last time Isaw him in person. I thought " I didn't ene get to say goodbye when we left the next day." I cried; the house was filled with teardrops at that moment. I replayed the moments we had togther as I was tying to fall asleep.Hoping I would be able to see him in my dreams.