Following is failure | Teen Ink

Following is failure

By jamesrodgers16 BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
jamesrodgers16 BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

In life you will make many mistakes and from those mistakes you will learn lessons.For example when i was younger i went outside barefoot and stepped on some glass. The pain was intense and my foot was bleeding. That experience taught me to always wear shoes when i go outside. The most important lesson i learned was to be a leader. It is always important to be a leader  because you avoid being in bad situations. For example if your whole class decides to walk out of school and you decide to stay there. They all get suspended and you avoided that situation.

It is always important to be a leader because it not only helps you avoid situations it also helps you in life. Being a leader helps you because leadership is an attribute that people want. For example college admission officers look for people who show leadership.This shows that people who show leadership often do better in life.

Last year i realized it was important to be a leader. Last year in Ms.Allens class no one raised their hand and everyone talked a lot. Usually when she asked questions the whole class would go silent and most people would just sit at their desk with blank expressions while others would whisper silently to eachother. One day Ms.Allen asked a question and no one raised their hand or stopped talking. So I decided to raise my hand and as a result i got  merits and a 100% participation grade. So over time people started looking at their grades and seeing a 0% participation grade. By the end of the year when a visitor walked into Ms.Allens class she walked into a silent room with all eyes focused on the speaker and when Ms.Allen asked a question all hands shot up to answer. This made me realize that being a leader often gives you good results and those results persuade people to follow your example.

Another time i realized being a leader often gives you good results was in lunch detention when Ms.Scribner was telling everyone to be quiet and do their work but no one listened. The room was loud and full of chaos everyone had their work on their desk but no one did it. They were just talking loudly while Ms.Allen silently sat there giving out demerits.
Last year CCA parking lot was filled with students protesting against carver. While protesting, these students were wasting learning time .Some students didnt even know what they were protesting for they just stood outside following the crowd. Some students knew with a better education they would have a better future. So they went directly inside the building to complete their work. When i got off the bus i was tempted to join the chaos that was supposed to be a  protest. I almost did until i realized it was pointless and would result in me missing learning time.It would also cause me to  have a lower grade. Although the protest may have been fun it caused scholars to miss a day of class and lowered their grades. However the students that did not participate had better grades and attendance.