Delaware Scholars Program | Teen Ink

Delaware Scholars Program

By emajor97 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
emajor97 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Did I get in? Did I get selected? That was all I was thinking about as my sophomore year in high school was ending. The Delaware College Scholars Program is like school in the summer but it was too was supposed to be like college. Forty students from different schools Delaware were selected to do this program starting on June 15th for two and a half weeks. My teacher thought this would be a good experience for me. Then I was informed that I was selected for DCS.
So June 15th finally arrived I had all my thing including clothes, shoes, and supplies for my classes. I also had my personal hygiene things like towels, wash cloths, toothbrush and toothpaste, and deodorant. Anyways the program was going to be at St Andrews High School in Middletown, Delaware. So I had finally arrived at the destination and I got to meet to people in my dorm and my dorm supervisor. I said my goodbyes to my mother and I knew I would not see her for another two weeks. I unpacked and after that we went to the auditorium to have a meeting with the head director of the program. They told us about what there is to do on campus, what our classes will be like, and the college tours we will be going on. St. Andrews was a campus that students lived on so they had a gym, pool, and may other places where you could have fun. This school also had a cafeteria where they had many options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. After the meeting we basically had free time to ourselves and then we start classes tomorrow.
The next day was like school all over again in the summer. I got up six o’clock to shower and get my bag packed for my classes. Breakfast starts at seven thirty so left my dorm around seven. I only knew one person there and it was a girl from school John Dickinson. Anyways after breakfast I went straight to classes. I had seven class periods a day which included math and English twice a day, advisory, human development, and a SAT prep class. In each class I did work just like we would in my English and math class at my school but we mostly reviewed and focused on the SAT. Around twelve it was lunch time and they had some exceptional food. They had a variety of things and even food for vegetarians. After lunch I had the SAT prep class and then human development. Human development was like a class where we just talked about us and our lives and has nothing to do with English or anything like that. The class just focused on us and that is what I enjoyed about that class. I was excited when classes were all done because then we had free time. I usually played basketball in the gym for about an hour and a half then we had dinner. After dinner we had study hall to do our homework for our classes and then it was lights out at ten. That’s how everyday was until the college trips.
The college tours were the best part of DCS program. We toured Villanova, St. Josephs, Haverford, Delstate, Howard, American, Georgetown, and George Washington University. We toured two colleges each day. The ones I liked the most were Upenn, Howard, St. Josephs, and Villanova. I felt like I could picture myself in those schools. They also had my major and my concentration that I was planning to pursue. I also liked their campuses and they just seemed the most interesting to me. At each college we saw actual classes, libraries, gyms, and different schools within the college. After the tour guides were finished with the tour we would have someone do a presentation about the university. They would tell us about things like requirements, campus life, Greek life, athletics, and many other exciting things. I enjoyed the information that was given and how much I learned about college.
The DCS program finally came to an end. I’m glad I met new people and had the experience. I consider this a privilege because anyone could have been chosen but I got chosen. I just wanted to say thank you to staff and my teacher. Now it’s time to move on to my junior year in high school.

it was something exciting that i did over the summer so i just wrote about it