Cheerleading Nightmare | Teen Ink

Cheerleading Nightmare

By L__Nicolee BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
L__Nicolee BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

Cold sweat building up on my hands as I walked into the room at 2:30 pm. It was filled with a bunch of more older and pretty females all laughing and joking around. When I walked in I observed the room thinking that the silence would take a halt. Teenage girl’s laughs roared and bounced off the walls of the cheerleading coach’s office.
This was the first day of school and the first day I would be cheering for high school. I walked over to the coach and introduced myself briefly. I started to feel warm and the more the sounds got louder, the more I wanted to sprint out of the room. Maybe run home to the comfort arms of my mother or maybe even just reconsider this absurd idea. My feet would not even allow themselves to make an inch but my thoughts were running a mile a minute. During all of this I looked up and realized that the whole room eyes were on me. I began to look back questioning why everyone was looking at me. Then someone broke the silence.
One of the females ran over to me and asked, “Are you the new girl?” Wow, the new girl is my name. I simply replied back “yes” and the girl started to fill with excitement. I’m guessing my mother informed the coach who informed the cheerleaders that I used to do tumbling. “Omg can you tumble…How about cradle... Wait what level are you on?” Disappointing all of them, I shook my head no. I could see my shiny new cover was quickly dissolving. Like one of those infamous high school stories, the girls looked and walked away. Probably to gossip about how I was dead weight being brought on the team. I sat there and watched the conversations heighten once again. Then out of the corner of my eyes, I had seen the trophy prize.
It was the cheer captain; she looked at me with a blank face. I knew I was about to go into war and I had to be prepared. She greeted me very confident, more confident then I would ever be. Shyly I told her my name and she said a flat joke. Great, they all have a good sense of humor.  Not even 10 minutes into the war zone, two cheerleaders grabbed me and began teaching me cheers. It was challenging and made my mind hurt. Having to move my arms simultaneously with my legs was like building something for NASA. I caught on slowly and still had a couple of mistakes that were very noticeable. They looked at each other and shook it off and laughed. “Let’s just move onto the next cheer.” Before I could be put into more misery the whole team reunited outside. I jumped into slowly and started catching on a lot faster than before.
I could feel the unknown sense of happiness being built up into my body.  My movements became more confident and I started to smile and joke with the other girls. As I walked away from practice I started to feel an undying fire starting to inflame in my heart.

Knowing that many other teenagers always encounter nervousness when trying out for something new.