The Land of Plenty | Teen Ink

The Land of Plenty

By writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan

As I lay on the bench, I glance up at the stars. So perfectly illuminated, they shine bright and far. No matter what happens during the day, amidst the grief and starvation and despair, the stars never fail to let these realities dim its glow. There is a wonderin its vastness, similar to the mountains below. They stretch across the horizon and are a constant reminder of the beauty in this country.

As I lay on the bench, I feel the slight breeze leave goosebumps on my arms. For within the breeze, there is a warm comfort. A comfort within the small things in life- so rare yet ever present in this country. The morning brings sunshine, and along with it are the bright faces of the native people. The color in their culture truly comes to life as the local market, Madame Cheap Cheap's, opens. 

Energy overwhelms my body as children run, giggle, and skip over to me. "Let me braid your hair!" They cry. "Play with me!" They beg. It's as if their entire existence screams, "Love me and I will love you back." Not a single smile is missing among the group of children, although nearly all material posessions are. 

Their joy and laughter is contagious. Just as the mountains stretch beyond comprehension, so does the hope in the people. 

A place is nothing without its people. Yes, the stars mesmerize me at night, but there are stars across the entire galaxy. Yes, the land is filled with natural beauty and beyond, but that can be found in any place across the world. It is the color and liveliness in which the people bring to the land- that is what truly captivates me and keeps me up on the bench at night, staring at the stars for eternity. 

Pure faith and hope. Reaching limits farther than the number of stars in the sky. 

That is what I see when I look around. 

Haiti is a land of plenty.