Northridge Earthquakes and My Family | Teen Ink

Northridge Earthquakes and My Family

By LesleyEst BRONZE, Pacoima, California
LesleyEst BRONZE, Pacoima, California

Growing up, I would always hear about the Northridge Earthquakes in 1994, about how awful it was and how much these earthquakes had an impact on the community. I would hear that it easily affected how people lived, but I never actually learned about how exactly it changed people. As a result of the earthquakes, it made people think further about being prepared, but for my family, it made us immensely appreciate each other and come together, especially for my Aunt Yolanda.

“It was a Monday at 4:31 am” when an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.7 hit. It was so strong that it sounded “like there was a war going on outside.” As soon as she got outside, she realized that the fence in front of her house had fallen. At that point, each and every one of her family members was outside. As the day continued the rest of her family started arriving to her house, like it was a,"sanctuary." Everyone came together, better than they had ever been together before. Before the earthquakes, our family wouldn't genuinely be together, they would only call if there was a birthday, and would actually only spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together. My family began to appreciate each other and spend time together. Even after a few days, my family would still be at my aunt's house, sitting together outside, they were afraid, because of the continuation of aftershocks, that "something bigger was coming." They were all afraid of "The Big One," especially my aunt. It made her honestly consider moving to Mexico, but she decided that she wouldn't because her family was here, that because of the earthquake, it made our family become closer together, appreciate each other on a newer level, and she wasn't going to ruin that by moving away. It made our family become closer together than ever before. The earthquake legitimately impacted how they live as well. One of our in-laws used to sleep with shoes on because of how frightened he was that there was going to be another earthquake. It also has driven them become higher prepared by buying supplies such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, and first aid kits.

In the end, she realized that her American dream was to be delighted and be with her family, even if that meant going through hardships.