I Believe in Honesty | Teen Ink

I Believe in Honesty

By Sean8 BRONZE, Millis, Massachusetts
Sean8 BRONZE, Millis, Massachusetts

There are many human traits that play a role in who we are as a person and personally I believe Honesty is the most important. Honesty for me is more than just feeling  good about what I do its being able to wake up and look at myself everyday knowing I did the right thing.

Even if I don’t know the person it still feels good to do the right thing. An example of this was what I experienced and acted on at a Boston Bruins game. I was at a Bruins playoff elimination game during the Detroit Redwings series, as you can imagine it’s a pretty hectic atmosphere. I was at my seat surrounded by crazy drunk people falling over me tripping on everything even air sometimes. So before I was to encounter hundreds of these people during intermission I went to the bathroom right before 2nd period was over. On my way weaving through lines of people packed shoulder to shoulder waiting for food like animals I saw a little kid talking to his dad. I only noticed because he was one of the only sober people I saw, never mind a kid. After a few seconds talking to his dad I saw him begin to walk away with money. I can only assume it was for food, on his way to one of the vendors he was getting walked over, tripped on, cut, everything you name it. Not an atmosphere for a little kid.

During all the madness he managed to drop his 50$ and all I can imagine is if I had to go and tell my dad I lost that much money. He wouldn’t have been happy and this kid probably would have had the same scenario, so being a good Samaritan I traced his tracks and found his money under a concession stand. I picked up the dirty, grimy, hefty amount of money. 50 dollars in my hand for the taking without anybody but myself to know what I did. All I could think about was the little terrified kid telling his father he lost all the money. So without even questioning myself I immediately found the kid and said “Hey bud, I think you lost this.” With the biggest smile and sigh of relief I’ve ever seen he let out a deep breath. Confused he said “Thank you”. Just a plain and simple thank you and walked away. He said thank you but that’s not what mattered. It was the pure fact that I felt good about what I did and did the right thing, and he wouldn’t have even to have said thank you and I would have known just how much he appreciated it just from his face. That’s all it’s about at the end of the day, honesty.